Main Menu

BFG RWL Tire cleaners

Started by Racer57, Today at 09:38:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Truespoke/Motorspot advised me that the primary reason that BFG raised white letters turn brown is due to the chemical makeup. Using ANY cleaner with bleach has a bad reaction which causes it. They sent me this from BFG for cleaning and advised using these cleaners when tires are new and afterwards. They also said that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a good product to use.

headejm

@Racer57 Very interested in finding a solution for my brown letters. I'm disagreeing slightly with the cause of the browning being what cleaners have been used. It's my understanding that the brown is caused by chemical(s) leaching through the rubber. I've tried 10 or so cleaning methods and none of them work at all. The closest I can get is using acetone. It's been a frustrating 7 years dealing with the browning on tires that have about 200 miles on them.

Please update this post if you find a solution that works.

tparker

Interesting. Not sure about BFG specifically, but in the 80's we used comet cleaner and it worked great. Once the customer left we didn't see them again, so I don't know how long it lasted.

headejm

This problem is different. Tried comet, SOS, Bleache White, white hair dye, many more. The brown always comes back. Numerous forums discussing this. Sad really.

Racer57

Quote from: headejm on Today at 11:48:29 AM@Racer57 Very interested in finding a solution for my brown letters. I'm disagreeing slightly with the cause of the browning being what cleaners have been used. It's my understanding that the brown is caused by chemical(s) leaching through the rubber. I've tried 10 or so cleaning methods and none of them work at all. The closest I can get is using acetone. It's been a frustrating 7 years dealing with the browning on tires that have about 200 miles on them.

Please update this post if you find a solution that works.

Motorspot said the chemical in them rises to the surface, so your correct.  When it interacts with bleach or similar chems with each "cleaning", it keeps getting worse. The instructions from BFG addresses that.