Main Menu

Bleeding new brake system

Started by Shoooter, March 13, 2020, 08:41:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

Is there any tricks to bleeding a new brake system? I didnt bench bleed the master cylinder.  Is the only way to do this is have my son pump the pedal and crack the bleeder screw. I've seen people do it from the wheel up and for the fluid in. Any tricks?

JS29

Start at the right rear then left rear, right front left front. farthest to closest. You may have to do the master first to get air out and fluid in the lines.  :alan2cents:

Rich G.

You really should bench bleed the MC first or you probably won't be able to bleed anything.

Chryco Psycho

You can get a lot of air out of the master cyl ust cycling the pedal with short strokes
Most people male the mistake of pumping the pedal fast , this can foam the fluid & add air , full slow strokes up & down works a Lot better

Shoooter

Do you mean short strokes at the start to do the master and long full ones after to do the system.  It was alittle confusing

Burdar

Bench bleed the master.  Then gravity bleed the system before bleeding it the conventional way.  Once the master is bled, open up all the bleeders and let gravity push the fluid through all the lines. You can put a length of rubber hose on the bleeders to route the fluid to containers at each wheel.(makes it less messy)  You should have fluid at all wheels fairly quickly.  I think I had fluid at all wheels within 10 minutes.  Have the cover off the maser and make sure the fluid level never runs low.  Once you have fluid at a wheel, you can close that bleeder.

I like to bleed the traditional way(with a helper) once I know I have fluid at each wheel. (just so I know all the air is out):alan2cents:

JS29

No strokes to bleed the master. have helper push the petal down and hold, Open the flare nut's one at a time, then close.

Rich G.

The easiest way to bleed a master cylinder is to plug the two ports and push the piston in and out until you can't push it in anymore then you're done. You'll see the bubbles stop and then it will get hard to push in.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Shoooter on March 14, 2020, 09:30:37 AM
Do you mean short strokes at the start to do the master and long full ones after to do the system.  It was alittle confusing
Exactly , sorry it was confusing

Shoooter

I used a brake bleeder kit to bench bleed the master in the car. Worked great

70 Challenger Lover

A few weeks back, I helped my buddy upgrade the brakes in his GTO. We bench bleed it in the car like shooter showed but when we moved to the wheels, it just wouldn't build pressure. We took it off and did it on a level bench and got more air out. This time, when we went back, it went perfect.

His car has the master at a pretty extreme angle and we theorized that the angle allowed for an air pocket that could only be expelled on a level bench. I've done them on Mopars though at the firewall like Shooter Howe's and it worked pretty easy.

Shoooter

I just had to make sure the lines were under the fluid level in the master. Everything went smooth. I had my wife out in the shop helping me after the kids went to bed. Didnt put the divers seat in for her, dont want her too comfortable in the shop!