Main Menu

Brake Booster Vacuum

Started by rdf, July 28, 2020, 07:12:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rdf

I've got a 73 'Cuda with front disc and rear drum brakes.  I'm putting a new motor in it and I'm just realizing the intake I have (Mopar M1, see pic) doesn't have any ports for a vacuum nipple.  Does this mean I'll have to drill my own in the intake or is there somewhere else I can connect it to?
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

Rich G.

Should have a big port on the carb somewhere.

rdf

Quote from: Rich G. on July 28, 2020, 07:50:48 AM
Should have a big port on the carb somewhere.

Here's my carb
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

YellowThumper

Check mounting flange under the carb bowls. There should be the port fitting.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

ClarkWGrizwald

You can always add a spacer plate below the carb with as many nipples as you want

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

YellowThumper

:bigthumb:

Quote from: ClarkWGrizwald on July 28, 2020, 08:33:20 AM
You can always add a spacer plate below the carb with as many nipples as you want

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Bullitt-

Just an observation... The typical motor configuration that would benefit from an open plenum intake such as the M1 will have so much cam overlap that the vacuum will not be sufficient to give consistent power brake booster operation..
  If dealing with manual brakes are not in your plans perhaps hydroboost or an electric vacuum pump should be considered.  :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

I use the port on the carb for PCV valve , & I drill a hole at the back between the ports to supply vacuum for brakes . I would drill for 1/4" pipe thread BTW.
Hydroboost is the other option

rdf

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 03, 2020, 10:14:19 PM
I use the port on the carb for PCV valve , & I drill a hole at the back between the ports to supply vacuum for brakes . I would drill for 1/4" pipe thread BTW.
At this point, I am probably going to go this route....while I'd like to get an electric vacuum pump, I think it's best to save that money for more of the "unseen" items that I'm sure will pop up with my build.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: rdf on August 04, 2020, 09:18:56 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 03, 2020, 10:14:19 PM
At this point, I am probably going to go this route....while I'd like to get an electric vacuum pump, I think it's best to save that money for more of the "unseen" items that I'm sure will pop up with my build.

My manual discs do just fine with minimal complexity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200