Main Menu

Brake Fluid Amount

Started by Daveh, August 09, 2017, 07:54:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a 6 pack of 32oz bottles of brake fluid to fill my entire brake system after taking it all apart and putting it back together on my 71 Challenger.  Will that be enough to completely fill the system?  Thanks

Dave

Cuda Cody

That sounds like a lot more then you will need.   I would be surprised if it take more then a couple bottle.

Daveh

Great thanks Cody.  I thought the same thing but it comes as a 6 pack and is very reasonable.  I figured in Florida once you open one bottle it doesn't last much longer in the opened bottle.  That way I would have some sealed bottles extra.  I'm going with DOT 5 there aren't a lot of options for DOT 5 out there.  Thanks again. 

Burdar

I'm pretty sure I only bought one quart bottle of DOT 5 fluid and didn't use all of it.

I opened all the bleeders and let it gravity bleed until I had fluid at each wheel.  It only took 10 minutes or so.  Then I bleed it the traditional way.  I didn't lose much fluid.  Connect some vacuum hose to the bleeders and catch the fluid that comes out.  You shouldn't have any crap come out of a brand new system.

Cuda Cody

Also remember that DOT 5 does not mix with DOT 4 or lower.  To use DOT 5 you want to have all new lines and parts that have not been used by DOT 2, 3 or 4.

Burdar

It shouldn't matter if DOT 5 sits open for awhile either.  It doesn't absorb moisture like the others.

GoodysGotaCuda

Amazon has some larger DOT5 bottles if needed. I am running DOT5 and have been working through getting it bled, which seems more challenging than traditional DOT4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ChallengerHK

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on August 09, 2017, 10:48:11 AM
I am running DOT5 and have been working through getting it bled, which seems more challenging than traditional DOT4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the issues you're encountering?

Daveh

No issues at all.  If you recall I just got the car painted and decided to use DOT 5 because I don't want to ruin my nice new paint when I install the clutch and brake master cylinder.  The system is brand new so I wanted to start fresh.  Thanks 

Burdar

DOT 5 can trap air bubbles in the fluid.  If you shake up a bottle of it, you'll see what I mean.  You just have to let it sit so the air will work its way out.  I never had an issue with it.  I bench bleed the master cylinder, install it on the car, hook up the lines and let it gravity bleed.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I also use DOT5 in my old cars, two bottles should do it.
Sheldon

Daveh

Thanks guys I appreciate it.   :ohyeah:

nsmall

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 09, 2017, 08:32:54 AM
Also remember that DOT 5 does not mix with DOT 4 or lower.  To use DOT 5 you want to have all new lines and parts that have not been used by DOT 2, 3 or 4.

@Cuda Cody

I have newer brake lines and I was planning to use dot 5 but now you got me rethinking as I don't know if the guy before me was using dot 5.  Is this a major no no?

If so, is dot 4 the next best option?

Thanks.  Not trying to hijack this the, but you got me thinking.

Cuda Cody

DOT 5 and DOT 2,3 & 4 do not mix.  If I had a show car that I was not going to drive a lot, I would clean the lines and everything out super good and use DOT 5.  But if you plan to drive the car I would use DOT 4 fully synthetic.   DOT 3, DOT4, DOT5.1 brake fluids are the mixtures of glycols and glycol ethers. DOT 5 is silicone base.  I personally do not like DOT 5.

http://www.advancepetro.com/differentbrakefluid.htm

Quote from: nsmall on August 10, 2017, 09:58:59 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 09, 2017, 08:32:54 AM

@Cuda Cody

I have newer brake lines and I was planning to use dot 5 but now you got me rethinking as I don't know if the guy before me was using dot 5.  Is this a major no no?

If so, is dot 4 the next best option?

Thanks.  Not trying to hijack this the, but you got me thinking.

Daveh

I also have a friend that works for a major automotive distributor and he's in stores and service centers all day. I had him ask the guys using it everyday and he said that they all said use the DOT 5.  Especially if your worried about the paint.  You will barely notice a difference and to have that piece of mind is worth it.