Main Menu

Brake kits - 10.95 or 11.75 rotors?

Started by Fish Tale, July 08, 2021, 11:01:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Fish Tale

I'm looking to convert my 71 Cuda front drums to discs and was thinking of going with the kits from Dr. Diff.  They have 10.95" and 11.75" rotors.  Any real big difference in going with the larger diameter rotor?  What about plain versus slotted rotors?

Also, I'm assuming in the future when I change out the brake pads, that it would need to be pads for a 73 and later e-body?

Thanks.

1 Wild R/T

If you just cruise the smaller rotors are fine, the bigger rotors are bigger heat sinks so they will take more abuse.. I like going for spirited drives & live near lots of mountain roads... So, bigger is better....

Brads70

Do you have any older wrecking yards where your at? Bigger rotors in the future might be more plentiful/cheaper?  :notsure: One can never have " too good" of brakes

Good reading.... might be a cheaper option for you if you can find a car to donate parts from?
https://www.allpar.com/threads/disc-o-tech-stop-on-a-dime.237038/#post-1085245451

Montclaire

There is a small advantage to the bigger rotors, but if you are stuck with the 10" ones (say you want to keep your factory 14" wheels) it's not the end of the world.  Buy quality rotors and pads and you'll be fine.  Rotorpros.com sells Mopar rotors that are drilled/slotted.

7212Mopar

There is no such thing as too much brake. Why go smaller if you are doing the swap anyway?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Montclaire

Quote from: 7212Mopar on July 09, 2021, 08:35:59 AM
There is no such thing as too much brake. Why go smaller if you are doing the swap anyway?

The 11.75 caliper brackets themselves are an expense, everything else is about the same cost-wise.  But if you're like me and have 14" factory rallyes, then you will end up paying a lot more in the end.  You can always upgrade later.  The contact area is nearly 1:1 since you are using the same size pads in either case, you're only adding some extra beef which will dissipate heat more quickly if you're really laying into them. I doubt you'd see much difference at all in performance until you got past 3 or 4 rapid panic stops.

I had a 73 Challenger 440 with manual 11.75s and now have a 74 Barracuda, 440 and manual 10.95s.  I haven't noticed any real difference between the two. If I had 15" wheels I'd probably step up to the 11.75s just for the hell of it but it's honestly fine the way it is.

Fish Tale

Thanks for all the input.  Much appreciated.

CudaA39

Different manufacturer but Wilwood told me their 12" kit would not fit under a Chrysler Rallye wheel, but would fit under all other OE 15" wheels.  Because of that, I went with their 11" kit and won't be losing any sleep over stepping down.  I'm not sure if their 12" kit really measured at 11.75", or if the Dr.Diff kit is actually .25" smaller, but that may make all the difference.
Check out my 71 Gen3 build:

https://youtu.be/XSDAWczXoZw

2015 Tri-State Stock/Superstock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Weekend Sunday Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar Weekend Friday No Box Winner and 11.50 R/U

7212Mopar

Dr Diff 13" front kit will fit the 17" Yearone Rallye. I think I had pictures in a thread in CC. They are probably all deleted now. It slows and stops the car very well except no antilock feature.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

More brake is better .
the arguement about surface area is meaningless , yes both use the same caliper & Pads but from an engineering standpoint it is not about area but leverage & moving the contact area away from the center creates more leverage so yes there is an advantage with the larger brake rotors assuming you have at least 15" wheels   

jbaha

Did my conversion to discs, with 06-08 mustang brakes! costs nothing!