Main Menu

Brake leaks

Started by ksierens, November 27, 2019, 07:35:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ksierens

Finally getting to bleeding the brakes on my Challenger. I had bought stainless lines, first mistake I guess. It is leaking from the valve on the front disk brakes hold off valve, and the the flare on the passenger side. I know others have had problems with the hold off also .... sigh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

Chryco Psycho

As you know stainless lines are tough to seal up , I hope you have good flare wrenches , the seal surface where the lines seal against is usually just brass so it can be damaged so it will never seal if the line is too hard

Rich G.

Tighten the crap out of them and hope for the best. They are tough to seal.

ksierens

Yes, I always use flare nut wrenches. I am swapping the valve out tomorrow, along with the one brake line, but getting a steel one instead of stainless. I wonder why the cap on the valve is not closed. If it leaks again, I might make a new closed cap on my lathe.

Cuda Cody

The key is to use a little grease when you first tighten flare fittings so they don't mar the end when they tighten dry.  If you do not use grease the first time, you'll need to tighten the crap out of them to the point they almost strip out.

mopar jack

After market hold off valves have had problems. I recommend a rebuild kit from Muscle car research. Installed one in mine 4 months ago and no leaks. If you don't care about originality just replace the valve with a tee.
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/kh-kit-4

mopar jack

ksierens

I live by In-Line tubing, so I went there on Saturday.  I was told they were having problems with some earlier valves, but they should be fixed now. They replaced the valve, and another line that was leaking, and so far, everything is fine.