Main Menu

Brake pads

Started by bc3j, February 06, 2020, 08:07:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bc3j

A question for the group. For brake pads, does anyone consider the friction coefficient of the pad? I have read that DOT code FF is the minimum for a performance pad. Thoughts? Any particular brand you use?

Chryco Psycho

I use Power stop 3 series pads

dodj

I never considered it, or even knew it was there to look at.
When I changed to Baer cross drilled and slotted rotors and used Bendix ceramic pads with the original calipers, my seat of the pants braking meter was impressed. Not overly scientific....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

bc3j

Thanks. I'm just playing around with the relationship of the all components of the braking system with the parts I got laying around and thought I'd throw that out.  Right now I'm experimenting with getting close to a 14:1 ratio between the caliper bore area to the master cylinder bore area. Several sites seem to center around that ratio as being optimal for manual brakes. I'll see how that will actually work out once on the car. Right now I'm at 11:1 and braking is good just trying trying to improve upon that. Seems like increasing the ratio is an improvement. Next change will bring it to 13:1, but I'll have to wait for spring. Thanks again.

RUNCHARGER

Not very scientific but I used the repro Hemi Master Cylinder with 79 R-body calipers on my orange car and it worked excellent!
Sheldon

bc3j

Thanks. Same calipers I'm using. It's just a long winded way to say I'm switching master cylinder bore size. Mathematically, all cars have a ratio between the area of MC & caliper, I'm just goofy enough to figure it out. In the long run it really doesn't matter.  I always am curious about you guys success in different setups on this forum. A wealth of info. I'm glad you guys are gracious enough to share it. If you have the caliper bore & mc it's just a little math.

RUNCHARGER

No, I admire you figuring it out. I just threw a dart and got lucky. Much smarter to do the math before jumping in and spending $$$.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

When you get it wrong it is awful .
I have driven a few cars that could barely slow down with both feet pushing as hard as you could , you really need to have it all sorted out , , bore sizes , number of pistons in each caliper etc

Katfish

Quote from: bc3j on February 10, 2020, 09:13:17 AM
. If you have the caliper bore & mc it's just a little math.

So what is the math on this?

bc3j

Quote from: Katfish on February 15, 2020, 05:12:13 PM
Quote from: bc3j on February 10, 2020, 09:13:17 AM
. If you have the caliper bore & mc it's just a little math.

So what is the math on this?
I have a spreadsheet for this but it's just the area of a circle (using caliper bore, master cylinder bore) then the math (radius x radius) x Pi 3.1416. Then divide MC area by caliper area. You'll get a ratio then. It's just some sites I found suggest a ratio of near 14:1 for manual brakes. There's a spreadsheet on, I think, forbbodiesonly, but I can't find it. Has some good information for getting braking information.

Katfish

Excel does make it easy,  curious how you plan to get to 14:1

With a 7/8 MC and 2.75 Caliper (I think largest stock) it works out to 9.9

7/8 MC = 0.6013   
2.75 Caliper = 5.9396
Ratio   9.8775 (5.94/0.60)   

bc3j

MC 1.031 = .8343
Caliper 2.75 = 5.9396

Excel too. Makes things easier.
Come spring I'll see how it works out.