Main Menu

Brake line gasket needed?

Started by headejm, December 12, 2018, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Unclear as to whether or not the rubber brake line going to the caliper gets a copper sealing washer. 1970 single piston caliper. Parts book, service manual, and online search is inconclusive.  :notsure:

Rich G.

If the line end is the flat block style with a bolt holding the line on there is a copper washer on both sides. If the hose screws in with a seat in the end there is no washer.

Cudakiller70

Left side is for inverted flare tube/nut, right side gets copper washer

jimynick

A good parts store should have a selection of the washers, but if you're stuck and have the old ones, you can hang them on a wire and heat them (not insanely) hot with a propane torch and dunk them in a can of water. That'll anneal them softer and you can usually get away with using them again.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudakiller70

Rich G.

Yes there is a copper washer on the hose end going in the caliper like the picture shows. There is no seat in the caliper. Had to check. My bad.

Daveh

Yes you will need the copper washers.  You can get them anywhere and very cheap.  Now don't laugh but I bought one of these copper assortment kits years ago for like $2.99 from Harbor Freight and they have never let me down.   :twothumbsup: