Main Menu

Brakes, Spindles...?

Started by gravyboy, April 03, 2018, 06:49:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gravyboy

Good afternoon people.

I currently have stock power discs on front of my 71 Challenger. The spindles don't seem compatible with as large a selection of after market disc brakes as the drum spindles. For this reason ( and I want to lower the car ) I was considering the Magnum Force drop spindles and Willwood brake kit. Is this compatible with my Hotchkis TVS ( yet to be installed ) or is there a better solution - a possibility that has already been pointed out. I only want to do it once!
Thanks

Chryco Psycho

I have seen too many Wilwood upgrades turn into downgrades if you hve power steering Hydro boost ids a very good option , , just going to the 11.75 Cordoba discs is a decent upgrade , Brad added Viper calipers to his car ,
Dr Diff in Montana has a a decent upgrade also with minimal parts using cheap off the shelf stuff also
Be careful before spending $$

gravyboy

Thanks for the reply...
I have only ever heard good things about Dr Diff and would definitely consider them/him.
The 11.75" upgrade would be cheaper than the 12.88" but what about about effective performance?
What is it about the Willwood that you have reservations about?

Anyway, for now I need to get the car running and install the new 1.1" torsion bars and control arms etc and see how the car sits. The Hotchkis leaf springs have lowered the back a little and I want the front to sit nicely to match. If I can adjust the T-bars adequately I may not require drop spindles and have options for brakes...I would like a disc brake rear end too so would consider a whole new rear end assembled in USA by one outfit and combine sea freight to New Zealand with other parts....shipping ain't cheap across the world so it makes sense to get things shipped together by sea...

JpRngr

BTW, if you are looking at getting the MF dropped spindles, hit me up. I've got a basically new set that have only been installed, never run on. Easy to do the 11.75 rotors with these, too. They ended up giving me too much drop with my aftermarket suspension and big wheels and tires.

Corey

Chryco Psycho

I have seen numerous Wilwood swaps that perform far worse than stock systems , one system was so bad you could barely stop from 30 mph with 2 feet on the pedal , even after changing master cylinder diameters 

Brads70

I've never really seen a need for the dropped spindles. You can inmost cases swap out the stock LCA bumper for a shorter one to gain the needed clearance. But that being said I don't use the stock spindle, I'm using a 1973 C-body spindle which has 5/8" drop as compared to a stock spindle?

303 Mopar

I would also recommend Dr Diff disc swap, plenty of stopping power with on my '68 Charger with a 505 stroker. Your going to love the big torsion bars, and they will allow you to drop the car plenty.  As @Brads70 mentioned, change out the bump stop only if needed but drop spindles are usually overkill and cause clearance issues if you are going to drive your car.

Shane Kelley

I'm with what everyone is saying about drop spindles. I see no need for them. The new torsion bars will allow you to sit the car down. Get all that Hotchkis stuff on there and you will be happy with the way it handles. If your set on the big Wilwood brakes you might consider just picking up a set of drum spindles. There are a lot of them out there. For me I'm very happy with the big Wilwoods up front. I like the way they look and perform.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

We put MF drop spindles in one of the cars I did....ended up with all sorts of tire clearance issues while turning. Ended up raising the torsion bars to compensate :dunno:  I wouldn't bother again. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparcar

Is there any particular year of drop spindles that are the best for geometry, ball joints, etc.? Do they need to be E-body or others? Sorry not meaning to hi-jack the OPs thread but I think it's related to the discussion.

Thanks, Wes

gravyboy

Great intel. I'll see how it sits when my current parts are installed. I have to stop myself falling for the " biggest is better " thing sometimes...

Brads70

Quote from: MoparCar on April 04, 2018, 11:11:31 AM
Is there any particular year of drop spindles that are the best for geometry, ball joints, etc.? Do they need to be E-body or others? Sorry not meaning to hi-jack the OPs thread but I think it's related to the discussion.

Thanks, Wes
I didn't do it for the " drop" necessarily but here is what I did.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/-using-c-body-spindles-on-an-e-body-and-a-body-lcas-and-viper-calipers/58/