Main Menu

Busted 4 link

Started by IMNCARN82, August 30, 2017, 03:45:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

IMNCARN82

Was being dumb.  Gave her too much gas in reverse. Chirped the tires and she hooked up.  Heard the "pop".     Thought u joint.    Babied her home. Upon inspection found the horror.   Crushed the upper shock mount.

Got a call into RMS.  No word back yet. Will email Bill pix too. Need to fix this asap.

Didn't think it would bust like that.  Not real sure where to go from here?

Maybe a different set-up?   Any suggestions?     

About to pull the trigger on a moser 8.75 fabricated rear housing complete.  All new.   Can't bring myself to put the old one back in.    Hopefully the 5 speed is ok.   Didn't feel too good. Uhg.

SuXxX

R/T
round tail lights forever !!

Cuda Cody

:unbelievable:  WOW!!!  That's no fun.

Brads70

Wow, looks like thicker material and triangulation somehow is needed?  If the shock did that I'd assume the shock is junk too.

What's the housing look like?

IMNCARN82

Everything else looks ok      Was weird

Brads70

I'd be surprised if Bill doesn't offer a solution? Didn't break at the weld, looks like material was to thin?
Ask him  to make you another with thicker material and gussets?

IMNCARN82

It did break at the welds. Yea I might make up my own out of square stock and maybe a spacer to the floor or gusset.   

303 Mopar

Sorry to hear this happened to you Robert, was looking forward to seeing you at the Golden Supercruise.   :crying:

IMNCARN82

Talked with Bill they will make up a new cross member. And I got the new link set up. 
Be out Monday er so.   

Yea.   Well   I'll be at golden in Lucy now.   That's ok.

R/T

Brads70

:drooling:  You do REALLY good work!  :bradsthumb:
Nice to hear Bill taking care of you!

303 Mopar

Quote from: IMNCARN82 on August 31, 2017, 02:36:47 PM

Yea.   Well   I'll be at golden in Lucy now.   That's ok.

R/T

When the did you pick up that bada$$?  Let's connect, I may be bringing the Satty vert if the weather looks nice. 

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Brads70 on August 30, 2017, 04:11:58 PM
Wow, looks like thicker material and triangulation somehow is needed?  If the shock did that I'd assume the shock is junk too.

What's the housing look like?

I'm not an expert on the topic, but I do wonder if the parts are normalized after welding to relieve the stress within it. The weld held up fine, but the heat made the immediate surrounding area brittle..I assume.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

IMNCARN82

Yea that's what it looks like Goody. 

The  charger I did with my bro practicing for the cuda.

Been 10 yrs. now. 

See ya Sat!  I'll hafta run through the ol girl and clean her up proper like.

Thank you Brad.  I'll get fresh pix of the charger for you!!!

R/T

Chryco Psycho

If you are going to spend the cash on a diff housing do yourself a favor & get a dana , if you can hook that well the 8 3/4 is not long for this world

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 31, 2017, 11:57:55 PM
If you are going to spend the cash on a diff housing do yourself a favor & get a dana , if you can hook that well the 8 3/4 is not long for this world

I don't see any danger to the 8.75... The RMS stuff clearly is the weak link....

Chryco Psycho