Main Menu

choices of upper control arms?

Started by torredcuda, August 05, 2018, 04:50:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

torredcuda

As I`m upgrading the handling I am either going to use Moog offset bushings or may go to aftermarket arms. Are the arms worth the money for a mainly street driven car that I might try doing a parking lot type course or fun track day with and which ones, not looking to spend a fortune?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

I have the moog offsets and am quite happy with them. Think they cost $50 for both sides.  That's the route I'd take in your position.
If my uca's got damaged, I would buy QA1 arms.
There are people on this site that like the Hotchkis arms, but personally think they are over priced and the heim joints are not that durable from what I read.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

:iagree: For what you want the Moog offset bushing should satisfy your needs.
I went with the Hotchkis uppers only because for my custom set up I needed the adjustability. Heim joints are sill fine after 6-7 years now....
If your after everything you can get handling wise  then that's a different story but then the age old saying comes into play " going fast costs money, how fast do you want to go" .....

Even if your arms are worn out , hard to not consider these...? No idea as to the quality though?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1962-1974-Mopar-chrysler-B-and-E-body-upper-control-arms-charger-challenger/351063607641?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

340challconvert

I went with the Goodmark Units for UCA's
Bought them in 2015 for 142. each
Looks stock and well made w a new ball joint and bushings
I saved my originals  but they looked very fatigued

In hindsight; I would have added the off set bushings

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

gzig5

If your ball joints are worn I would strongly consider the rebuilt arms from a couple of sources for ~$100/pair or the aftermarket tubular if your budget can stand it.  You can add the offset bushings (not a tough thing to do if you have the tools to press them out) to the rebuilt ones and be done for $150.  I'm in the middle of doing my entire front suspension with new offset bushings and all the other bushings and ball joints.  The upper ball joints are a bear to remove and you either need the special socket or need to get creative with the welder.  It took four feet of leverage and everything I had to break the first one loose.  You still probably need the socket to get the new ball joint torqued properly.  It can be rented or amazon has it for less than $25.

Everything I've read says that the upper arms don't see a lot of stress so it seems the main benefit of the tubular arms is the camber gain and cool looks on a normal driver.  I plan on doing some road course and parking lot stuff and will be upgrading some suspension parts in the future but right now I'm just making it safe to drive. Time and neglect has taken its toll.

RUNCHARGER

I would use the offset bushings as well. I always replace the upper balljoints with the upper control arms still mounted in the car, you can really get some leverage on them that way.
Sheldon

ToxicWolf

I used the hotchkiss heim joints and added boot covers just to be sure.  Still working perfectly.

gzig5

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 05, 2018, 10:30:41 AM
I would use the offset bushings as well. I always replace the upper balljoints with the upper control arms still mounted in the car, you can really get some leverage on them that way.

The special socket arrived an hour ago, less than 20 hours from Amazon order.  Nice!
I'll try to break the passenger side loose in the car, but it is up on four jack stands so I need to be careful not to create a low-rider... :bricks:

72bluNblu

I have Hotchkis UCA's on my '72 Challenger. I bought my set before the boots were available, and after about 7k miles of year round daily driving I had a couple of the heims that were completely worn out. After posting about it on Cuda-Challenger Hotchkis actually contacted me and provided replacement heims with a new set of boots. After about another 7k miles of year round daily driving I had a heim that was starting to click again. It wasn't toast yet like a couple of the originals, but it was definitely not going to make 10k miles of driving. That was about the time I started using my Duster as my daily and I've since torn down my Challenger, needless to say it will get new heims before it goes back on the road.

So, I personally don't like the heim jointed UCA's for a street driver. For a car that never sees rain and road grit, or only gets driven infrequently and won't see thousands of miles a year you could probably run them for a really long time before any issues came up. But I wouldn't count on them going much more than 10k miles between changes if they're seeing constant street use.

I also wouldn't spend money for OE replacements unless you've got some kind of show car that needs to be original. In that case I would definitely use the offset bushings, because you really can't get enough positive caster to have a decent alignment for radial tires without them. If you've got anything other than an original restoration, I would install a set of QA1's. Less flex and better alignment numbers. Especially if you've upgraded torsion bars, tires, etc.

torredcuda

Ok, sounds like Moog offsets and spend the money I`ll save on UCA`s elsewhere.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

gzig5

I just opened the boxes to press the offset bushings into my  UCA.  Moog K7103 from RockAuto.  There is only one bushing in each Box/kit?  WTH??  The pictures on all the sites show two.  I ordered two kits thinking that would do both sides.  Am I wrong or did RA mess up?

This is what I got in the Moog K7103 kits I bought.
Bought one kit from Roseville and one from NAPA.
Two of each .

340challconvert

Quote from: 73440 on August 10, 2018, 10:55:07 PM
This is what I got in the Moog K7103 kits I bought.
Bought one kit from Roseville and one from NAPA.
Two of each .

Amazon has the Moog kit for $24.  Hope you did better!

gzig5

RockAuto took them back and say that they will verify that what they send me has two sets in each box.  I paid $22.79 which is a good price, if you get a pair of bushings in each box......

340challconvert

Quote from: gzig5 on August 13, 2018, 09:44:07 AM
RockAuto took them back and say that they will verify that what they send me has two sets in each box.  I paid $22.79 which is a good price, if you get a pair of bushings in each box......
Sounds like a good deal!