Main Menu

Column auto to floor shift steering column conversion

Started by HP2, March 27, 2019, 06:41:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

A few questions in here about my column refurb.

So first, I've watched Cody's video on dis-assembly, which is great except for one small thing; how do I get the shift tube off the steering shaft? My '74 doesn't have the big wire snap ring at the bottom that holds it in like earlier models. The upper shift indicator collar was pressed on to the shaft and required some hammer motivation to come off, but the bottom is still firmly attached to the shaft by some means.

Next issue is I naively believed all I had to do to convert this from a columm shift auto trans to floor manual shift was swap out the upper collars. This doesn't appear to be the case because once I am able to resolve the shift tube issue from above, what exactly is supposed to  hold the lower bushing/bearing in the tube?

Chryco Psycho

Pictures ??
I forget how the 74 column differs

kathyscuda

save your self a lot o trouble.
buy a 71-74 floor shift column

anlauto

I've never heard of a column shift auto in a 1974 E Body...that must be pretty rare  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RJChallenger

:thinking:Is the steering column still in the car and attached to the steering box?

HP2

I'll have to get some pictures. It looks kinda like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/70-GTX-Charger-Roadrunner-Cuda-Challenger-Mopar-Steering-Column-Tube-Arm-Grommet/333130157762?hash=item4d901acec2:g:NuEAAOSwlV9WS~zJ&vxp=mtr  Except where the step is on that shaft, there is a large wire diameter, partial snap clip on the lower shaft (with no obvious slot it sits in) with a spring over the shaft that pushes up into the lower collar, which seems to all be assembled with the shift tube with no obvious snaps, clips, and screws holding it together. I'm suspecting there is a tab in one of the small slots somewhere that will allow it to come apart.

I do have a pile of parts that was once a floor shift column. That is where I acquired the collars I intended on swapping to my auto column. After looking at this shift tube set up, I'm beginning to think purchasing the missing parts for the floor shift unit and rebuilding it may be easier. I think it is missing the lower bearing and retaining pieces and firewall mount pieces. I guess I could purchase a new bearing, retaining clip, etc and take the firewall brackets from my auto column.

As far as rare, yea, this car is probably very low on the production numbers game. '74s are low volume cars to begin with, but with Avocado Gold(green) exterior, white vinyl top, white stripes and interior, every comfort, lighting, and convienence option and motivated by a 318 2bbl, it is far from collectible.

Column is out of the car and apart already. Removing the shift tube is the final thing I need to do to complete the dis-assembly.

HP2

HP2

HP2

It would seem I've stumped the board for the second time this year.  Bummer for me:  In any case, I now have the added issue of having knocked the shaft off the shelf it was residing on and it fell nose first into the concrete, shearing the plastic pins in it and shortening it by several inches in the process. So unless the shift cover comes off, there is no chance of fixing the shaft now.

The alternative is to restore my parts column to serviceable condition. This is what the bottom of it looks like. Obviously need a bushin, maybe bearing, clip? Or what else to get this column serviceable?

anlauto

I would move forward with your "parts column" it just needs the lower seal http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=102%2DC28K
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

HP2

Cool, thanks Alan. Also appreciate the link as well. I'll grab that, a coupler rebuild kit, and maybe an upper bearing too. Does anyone out there repop the wave washer that goes in the upper part of the column?  Both of the columns I have are missing that. The one I took out of the car is even missing the shelf it sits on.

HP2

Next question; 3 vs 3.5 coupler.  Is the 3" for power steering, 3.5" for manual, or does it matter. I've got one of each.

anlauto

I've only found that "wave washer" in 1970 columns not 71 and up  :alan2cents:

Brads70

Quote from: HP2 on April 01, 2019, 10:47:10 AM
Next question; 3 vs 3.5 coupler.  Is the 3" for power steering, 3.5" for manual, or does it matter. I've got one of each.

Just measured mine, and it's 3.5" with power steering.

anlauto

Quote from: HP2 on April 01, 2019, 10:47:10 AM

The length of the coupler varied through the years but it's the spline size you need to worry about. Power steering boxes use a smaller spline size then manual steering boxes. :alan2cents: