Main Menu

Combination Valve

Started by PatO, May 14, 2018, 07:33:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

PatO

I've a bit of a quandary on connecting my brake lines to a new master cylinder and distribution block I purchased from Roseville.    :wrenching:

Late last year I installed a brake line from Inline Tubes. This single line ran from the distribution valve on top of the rear axle to a point a bit above the frame, below the position of the master cylinder. It is meant to enter at the BOTTOM of the brake combination valve below the master cylinder. This particular line terminates in a straight up orientation. It does not fit any port on the new distribution/proportioning unit that I purchased. The flare fitting is larger than any of the ports.

I dug through some photos I took before the car was disassembled.  Please see the rusty unit pictured.

I checked with Inline tubes today, and while this unit was in their catalog, it has been discontinued.  Could anyone identify this particular combination valve for me? The service manual for 72 identifies it as a 3-way combination valve.   I'd like to see if there are any out there that I could purchase and/or refurbish before I start looking into modifying the existing new tubing and fittings.

Many Thanx!

Cuda Cody

I'm more familiar with the 1970 style.  Was there a big change for the 1972?

Chryco Psycho

Have you looked into the part for the later FMJ body cars ?

73chalngr

It is hard to tell from the picture. But it looks similar to the valve in my 73 challenger. I bought a rebuild kit from muscle car research and rebuilt mine.  Been working good for about 2 years now

PatO

Cody, I looked at my service manual a bit closer. It shows a few type of valves in use. The brass 2 piece unit (for cars with front discs and rear drums), a brass 1 piece unit (no disc brakes) and then the steel 3 way unit. I've attached the diagram of the one my car had, The steel 3 way unit.

Chryco, No I hadn't thought of that. I'll spend some time tonight looking into that.

Thanx for the tip 73chalngr. I'll follow up on that. My mistake was that I threw the one that I had away when I disassembled my car. It was so rusted, there was even a puddle of rust in the master cylinder.  My bad, I should have been thinking ahead.

PatO

Looks like I had a Kelsey-Hayes 86652 unit. This was used on a number of other car brands also.  I may searching EBAY for a while also.

Burdar

Inline tube used to sell that style but they had a lot of issues with them.  Something wasn't machined correctly internally which kept the brakes from disengaging.(I think that was the problem I read about) 

You'll probably need to look for a used replacement.  When you look, try to find one that hasn't been sitting open to the elements for years.  Try finding one that still has fluid inside.  Look for one that's capped off or still has the lines connected to it.  If they sit open, they will rust up inside. 

You can soak them in EvapoRust to get them clean up. 

PatO

Burdar, Thanx for the tip, always good advice  :ohyeah:

PatO

I looked a bit for a combination valve in style that was on my car.  I saw one used on for $165.  :ebay:    Not sure I wanted to spend that much and still have to refurbish it.  Went with what I had received from Roseville. It's the earlier style brass version.  I took this apart carefully to inspect. I found a fine coil of brass, from the thread cutting, in a couple of the cylinders in the new unit. I cleaned and carefully reinstalled. Got it all mounted up. I bought the brake lines last fall and they were for the other unit. For the rear brake line, I had to cut the tubing and replace a 9/16's fitting with a 7/16". Then I had to bend the master cylinder lines a bit to fit the new configuration. Looks ok I guess . . . . . . . .   especially when the hood is closed.   :haha: