Main Menu

CONFIRMATION ABOUT BRAKE CALIPER / CUDA 1970

Started by THE ZUKE, November 17, 2018, 02:13:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

THE ZUKE

Hi guys  ;)

Could you confirm me this caliper is the same model than mine ?

I have to change both of them (right and left) because they do not work exactly in the same way.

When I brake hard, the cuda turn a few on left.  :thinking:

There is no oil leak nether right nor left.

I have a big doubt because on right the caliper color was red and on left black.  :verymad:

LINK : https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/ng7074lhrh

Brads70

I think a 70 model year should have the pin type calipers like in the link you posted? Yours look like the later slider calipers? Not that it matters braking wise but they do not interchange without swapping out the caliper bracket .

THE ZUKE

Quote from: Brads70 on November 17, 2018, 02:50:43 PM
I think a 70 model year should have the pin type calipers like in the link you posted? Yours look like the later slider calipers? Not that it matters braking wise but they do not interchange without swapping out the caliper bracket .

If I understood every thing, my calipers brakes are for a 73/89 not for a 70.  :verymad:

If I change I have to change everything (Calipers and supports).

Brads70

Quote from: THE ZUKE on November 17, 2018, 03:09:34 PM

If I understood every thing, my calipers brakes are for a 73/89 not for a 70.  :verymad:

Yes you understand correctly . If your wanting it to be factory " correct" but its a popular swap , parts are easier and cheaper to obtain. ( slider calipers)
If your wanting " correct" I see your tie rod adjustment sleeves are not stock either? "Correct" most times costs a lot more....

Cuda Cody

anlauto

Disc brakes were likely added to your car. You might check to see you have the correct master cylinder and proportioning valve.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

THE ZUKE

Quote from: Brads70 on November 17, 2018, 03:20:37 PM
Quote from: THE ZUKE on November 17, 2018, 03:09:34 PM

Thank's for explanations   :bigthumb:

For me, everything is new on MOPAR because my ex MACH1 was totally matching number.

When I ordered pièces, it was easy, for a CUDA swap it is absolutly different to find good pieces.

I imagine for a hot rod..... :looney:

Yes you understand correctly . If your wanting it to be factory " correct" but its a popular swap , parts are easier and cheaper to obtain. ( slider calipers)
If your wanting " correct" I see your tie rod adjustment sleeves are not stock either? "Correct" most times costs a lot more....

THE ZUKE

Quote from: anlauto on November 17, 2018, 03:55:15 PM
Disc brakes were likely added to your car. You might check to see you have the correct master cylinder and proportioning valve.  :alan2cents:

Yes I confirm the front brakes disc were added because an original 318CI did not have brakes disc.

Brads70

Quote from: THE ZUKE on November 18, 2018, 05:15:53 AM

Yes I confirm the front brakes disc were added because an original 318CI did not have brakes disc.

Just because it's a 318 car doesn't mean it did not come with disc brakes. I wouldn't worry about if they are not "correct" or not as long as they work fine I say go with it. You will drive yourself crazy and broke trying to make everything factory " correct"  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on November 18, 2018, 06:12:49 AM

Just because it's a 318 car doesn't mean it did not come with disc brakes. I wouldn't worry about if they are not "correct" or not as long as they work fine I say go with it. You will drive yourself crazy and broke trying to make everything factory " correct"  :alan2cents:

Yea, but he wants to know why it pulls hard to the left when braking. ...nothing to do with the type of calipers, I know...but there's a problem somewhere  :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Could be dirt causing 1 piston to not movee freely or jam with pressure on the disc causing excess heat , either way you can install new seals for almost nothing or swap out the calipers to fix the pulling issue
Be warned there are various slider calipers also , with different hose connections , not all from 73-89 are the same caliper

THE ZUKE

Lol That's sure  :looney:

I just want find the good model and I think it is this one : http://www.doctordiff.com/10.95-front-disc-brake-kit.html

I do not find this caliper model without disc because I am problebly sure that one is not the same : http://www.doctordiff.com/73-89-slider-calipers.html

This afternoon I have wrotten to Doctordiff to be sure to order the good model.

THE ZUKE

Quote from: anlauto on November 18, 2018, 06:16:04 AM

Yea, but he wants to know why it pulls hard to the left when braking. ...nothing to do with the type of calipers, I know...but there's a problem somewhere  :huh:

It is certain but I have to change both calipers. I know that one of them has already been changed and that it does not brake with the same force than the other.

One is red and the other is black, they are identical but do not have the same braking power.