Main Menu

Correct color for steel wheels?

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, September 21, 2019, 09:22:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Today I'm going to spend a little time doing minor improvements to the new Barracuda, one of which is putting the original hubcaps back on.

I'm installing the covers over the road wheels that are on the car now and I'm finding that the perimeter of the wheel, the part covered by the outer trim ring, is a little rusty. I wouldn't be concerned with it except that the wheel cover doesn't quite cover the bead area by the tire so it doesn't look as nice as it did with the trim ring that did cover the whole rim.

What is the correct color for steel wheels using wheel covers? The road wheels on it now show a medium grey around this area but not sure if steel wheels are supposed to be black here rather than grey.

anlauto

I'm surprised the Road wheels are grey, I guess they are later versions ? The rim should be black with hub caps in 1971.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

black sounds good to me. I didn't have any grey paint but I have lots of black.

BigSig 6 Barrel

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on September 21, 2019, 09:44:37 AM
black sounds good to me. I didn't have any grey paint but I have lots of black.

I agree, a car with "any" style of hup cap, probably came from the factory with black rims, but . . . . I'm curious myself about the optional "Road Wheel" that he's using.  Were they chromed or painted silver/gray ... (or black)?  I see a lot of cars running around with "chromed Road Wheels???  What is correct for the original 70 Road Wheel rims?

~ A Wise Man Knows He Isn't

70 Challenger Lover

Not sure where these road wheels came from. According to the last owner who bought it in the early 80s, they were on the car already and he always assumed they came on the car originally. I suppose they could have come from any Mopar of the 70s. I have another set of road wheels on my RT that I'm pretty sure were original to the car. Unfortunately the out portion of the rim has lots of rust and the original paint is gone. The silver spokes don't appear to be chrome on the RT set so I'm guessing it's some kind of paint. The silver spokes on this Barracuda though do appear to be chrome so who knows?

Here's before and after...

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

The 5 1/2 inch Road wheels with trim rings have a black rim, the 6 inch road wheels with trim rings which started in 1971  four cars with G 7014 tires had a gray rim

The 6 inch road wheels were never available on an E body