Main Menu

Correct Master Cylinder for my 71 Cuda

Started by 76orangewagon, March 02, 2018, 02:03:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

76orangewagon

I need a little help and I cant seem to find the answer on the internet so here goes. My 1971 Cuda is coded B11 on my broadcast sheet which is Manual Heavy Duty Drum Brakes, On line 5 under master cylinder it reads 31 and from what I could find in my reference material stood for basically the same thing as the B11. I have a 3461189 master cylinder but cant find any information regarding if this is the correct MC or not. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct MC for my application before I restore it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Cuda Cody

That number looks right for a 71, but not in front of my parts book right now.

JH27N0B

It's correct.  The Chrysler part number for the MC for 71 manual drum is 3461184 and that is a correct Bendix casting number for that part number.
I'm not sure what the "31" stands for on the BCS, but maybe it was for a subassembly like the master cylinder/pushrod/studs.

JH27N0B

2229271 is the Bendix casting number for Chrysler 3580184.  That is for '71 or '72 through '74 B & E body manual disc brakes.  I'm not sure if manual disc was first offered in '71 or if it was '72? I know E bodies didn't get that option in 71, but maybe for B bodies?
But whatever the case, it's a disc brake part not drum.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

76orangewagon

Thanks for the info. The one that was on the car back in 1990 when I owned it the first time the MC was black (1st pic) and when I bought it back in 2016 it had been swapped out for a disc style MC (2nd pic). The one I picked up has remnants of black paint, Should I assume 71 Master Cylinders painted black instead of being left in natural cast ?

JH27N0B

It is my opinion that Mopar master cylinders in 1971 had sort of a parkerized looking gray coating.  The only one I know that was painted black was the '9191 hemi disc MC.

76orangewagon

I soaked the Master Cylinder in Evaporust overnight because there was lots of light rust covering 70% of it and there was no black paint present but it did reveal a almost perfect Blue paint inspection mark on the front end of it. it also looks like there is a K 1122 stamped on the front under the blue mark.