Main Menu

71 Barracuda wheel covers

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 26, 2019, 08:22:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

but that would be a reason to run them - to educate & to be accurate (when you know it is correct, it is correct) instead of deviating from what you know to be right

70 Challenger Lover

That is a good point. I guess I could say the same about Panther Pink. I'd sure hate to own one though.

Those 71 style covers are ridiculously cheap for super nice sets. I may pick up a set just to have them. They could marinate on the shelf just in case the day ever comes that my tastes change for the worse.

cudaize

In regards to your original question about the 23 Hole hubcaps being available on 71 Barracudas. I have yet to see a build sheet that is coded "32" with the W11 sales code.  I will share with you my thoughts in regards to my 71 CUDA 383 Convertible that I bought from the original owner in 1991 and it had the 23 hole caps on when I purchased which had been on there a long time, I personally believe since the original owner had possession of the car.

One thing to keep in mind is that full wheel covers and trim rings were not on the cars when they were shipped to the dealer, they were in the trunk and put by the dealer during new car prep. 

Background on my car:  6/22 Scheduled build date. Was an ordered car, for the CPA that did the books for a small dealership in Maryland.  Car was originally titled August 11, 1971.  Build sheet coded for W11 and "01" flying saucer caps.  During restoration I noticed on many of what I feel to be the original parts to have date codes very close to the SPD and some slightly past which would mean that it was built after the SPD, which I have come to understand is not unusual.  I had some correspondence with a gentleman that knew the car from new and got in contact with some of the former employees of the dealership.  Apparently there was somewhat of an urban legend surrounding how and when this car was built.  As the story goes the dealership was informed their order could not be built because of parts shortages and they inquired as to if it could be built if options were changed.  By the time they got a response the current story was that it could not be built because the factory had been changed over for 72 production.  The dealer was angry at them and told them if they don't agree to build the car we will be a Ford dealership by Monday.  Ultimately the car was built and the legend is that it was build on the 72 production line.  I don't believe it was built on the 72 assembly but it is definitely a late build car.  It shares the same SPD and is a couple VIN's lower than the 340 car with same color combination being sold this weekend at Auburn from the RPM collection.

If all that didn't bore you here are some possibilities as to why these could wheel covers could have been with the car from new.

-Wrong ones put in the trunk at the factory
-Due to late build no more "flying saucer" style available
-Wrong ones put on at new car prep
-Original owner didn't like them and had them changed before delivery

Below is a picture of how the car looked when I bought it

70 Challenger Lover

The car looks good with those covers, correct or not.

cudaize

The looks are all personal preference.  My favorite wheels are the 5 spoke ones like your car had when it was for sale in CT.  Actually the width of whitewall is pretty close to the originals if your car had 7.35x14's from new.  This is the wheel/tire combo my 71 Gran coupe had and I still have the original in the trunk.

After I had my white convertible painted I put on a set of NOS 23 hole style covers and the I researched the build sheet a little more and figured out it was "supposed" to have the flying saucer style.  I found a set of these that were perfect early take offs, probably by someone who didn't like the looks when new.  I put them on the car and took them right off as I really didn't care for the look.  I figured if I was going to put on a wheel that was not what the car was coded for I might as well put on something I like.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I hated those wheelcovers and still hate them. Just like now, back then the dealership would have no problem switching a set of wheelcovers to sell a car.
Sheldon

anlauto

I agree with Dan...the wrong part is the WRONG part no two ways about it.

You can't go for the "original" look by making changes for your personal taste...

...but with that being said, and like Mike's pictures just proved....you can make your car look anyway you want and no one will fault you for that.

P.S. Mike I always loved your car, makes me wish I didn't give up on the one I owned  :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I dunno Alan: A nice set of aftermarket 15X7 rallyes and BFG's compliment any ride.
Put it this way, if I had to restore the car totally stock and it came with those stupid looking wheelcovers, I would pass on the whole car or perhaps crush it, so which is better?
Sheldon

anlauto

"crush it"  :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:  solid advice right there ! :drinkingbud: :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

I actually still have the five spoke wheels on it. The modern radial tires, while old, are like new so it drives very nice. (Just got back from a long cruise just now in fact). I probably should have stated earlier that my goal is to go for a correct original look, even if it doesn't match the build sheet for this car. The five spoke wheels do look fantastic and they were an option so nobody could say they aren't correct for that type of car but I also thought it would be cool to stand apart from the rest of the crowd. Everyone has rallyes, five spoke road wheels or dog dish caps. They all look good but you don't generally see wheel covers on our e body cars. The rest of this car already stands apart with its color, two tone interior and lack of stripes, gills, bulge hood so the wheels should also compliment that grandpa look.

I think Alan mentioned before that you can remove the beauty ring off the five spoke wheels and run a wheel cover over the center cap. That idea is pretty cool as I can have both looks depending how I feel that week and making the change is extremely little effort with no large set of wheels to store. I'll keep the current tires for now and try to get some wear on them before ditching them for the bias ply twin white wall tire. Those older style whitewall tires look cool and will go a long way to enhancing the original look no matter what wheel I end up with.

I was on eBay today and picked up a set of nice 70 and 71 style covers since really nice sets can be had for mere pocket change. I'll play around and see what sort of attention they each get.