Main Menu

Dip painting parts, I nailed it this time

Started by Lloyd Lind, January 13, 2018, 11:56:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Lloyd Lind

So I had problems with the paint sinking to the bottom of the bucket of water. I had reduced it more to help it float and it still sunk. This time I poured it through a paint filter slowly on to the water and it stayed right on top. When you pt your parts in to the paint do it slowly and remove it slowly and hang it to drip and dry. It's a great way to do lower control arms just like factory, transmission mount as well getts painted inside and out.

anlauto

Factory assembly line installed lower control arms were NEVER dipped in black paint :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Lots of parts were dipped in black paint and looks like you came up with a great way to do it!  However, the lower control arms were dipped in cosmoline.  :alan2cents:

cuda hunter

Did you reduce the paint before running it through a filter?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Lloyd Lind

Lloyd Lind

Well, then I guess I need to stop believing everything I read. Years ago I read in a Mopar rag that they were either black or cosmoline. I guess I need to come up with a dip color that looks like cosmoline now. I stand corrected.

RUNCHARGER

It's all good, easy fix now and your process is good. Thanks for showing it.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: Lloyd Lind on January 14, 2018, 06:12:56 AM
Well, then I guess I need to stop believing everything I read. Years ago I read in a Mopar rag that they were either black or cosmoline. I guess I need to come up with a dip color that looks like cosmoline now. I stand corrected.

It is actually upper control arms that were sometimes black. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Just paint a cos :bigthumb:moline color over the black , where you dipped it in black  should last for a long time

Spikedog08

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Burdar

QuoteIt is actually upper control arms that were sometimes black. :alan2cents:

Some A-body lower control arms have been found black.  I've never heard of any E-body's coming that way though.

Lloyd Lind

All I know was years ago it was printed in a mopar magazine that the lower control arms were dipped in cosmoline or black paint just shy of the control arm mount point. The same expert in the same article said the same thing about the upper arms. I had owned several low mileage original cars that had black paint under the rebound bumper so I started doing them all with the black paint since I had no idea what color cosmoline was. I know now that cosmoline is the norm but I still just paint the entire arm and then dip in semi gloss as I believe some were done from the factory that way.

ScottSmith_Harms

Good job on the paint dipping! Cosmoline dipping works similar, it's pretty waxy and has a strong odor so I allow them to dry (in the shop, not the house garage due to the smell) usually for a week or a little more to get it to dry really well before handling it. First 3 pics are NOS/original examples, next ones are mine after prep and during the dipping process.