Main Menu

Disc Brake Positioners

Started by dodge1933, June 29, 2018, 09:21:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodge1933

I am having issues with the disc brake positioners on my T/A. I have replaced them a couple of times. The first time 3 out of the 4 positioners folded over and broke in half. The second set did not brake but I believe they just collapsed putting little or no tension on the calipers to hold them tight. I am now getting a pop from the front brakes every once in a while. I am thinking the positioners are the issue. Everything else appears to be assembled correctly. Aren't the positioners made out of spring steel or something. I have a parts guy that was able to locate some NOS positioners and am waiting for them now. Any other ideas.

This is how I have it assembled.

RUNCHARGER

Some of the time I just run without them. Are the slides lubricated?
Sheldon

dodge1933

Chryco Psycho

they are just a tensioner , I have seem people run without them .
Repops are crap , you need to lube the pins with silicone grease

anlauto

They are not spring steel, they do fold over time.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodge1933

OK I'll pull them apart grease them up and we'll see what happens. Thanks for letting me know about the positioners. One less thing to worry about.

dodge1933

I just wanted to let everybody know I changed 2 positioners and greased the pins on Saturday and took the car out for a short drive. I got 1 or 2 pops out of the calipers when took off and put about 10 miles on it in town and Hi-way. It pulled some but not as bad. We then went to a small car show on Sunday about 25 miles away. It Pop in the morning and 2 or 3 times it pulled a bit. I think it  will be alright now. I just have to  get my confidence up. I want to thank every one again for all the help and information I received.   

73chalngr

How old are your brake hoses ?  Sometimes the inside of the hose brakes down and causes a problem .

E74cuda

A little late but if the positioners are folding over you might have the incorrect pins. The neck portion of the pin that the positioner is on when installed could be to short. As said before I've also seen people run without them with no issue.

Rich G.

What do you mean by pop? Shouldn't hear any noise from the caliper. Do you have the little rubber bushings in the calipers? Can you grab the caliper with the wheel off and get the pop you're talking about?

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I really don't like the sound of this. Did you take a photo of the setup by chance? I am curious how the pins look for one thing. Also if the rubber isolators are in place, is there any lateral play between the calipers and the adapters?
Sheldon

dodge1933

New calipers were installed when I finished the car 2 years ago. It has not been driven a lot sense then. In and out of the trailer and a little on the road. The pins are the original for the car. I inspected them and they did not look bent or scored. All the bushings are in good shape and none are missing. The calipers fit well with no excessive movement. As I said after I greased up the pins the brakes seem to be getting better the last couple times I drove the car. I'm thinking it may have gotten stuck with no driving. I have run across that issue on other cars in the past.

MKA

Apologies in advance attaching to an old thread but I have a related question and it seemed appropriate. 

My drivers side caliper / brake pad is dragging on the disc.   If I spin the wheel jacked up I get less than 1 spin and the wheel runs 220f on the hub which is 60 degrees hotter than the passenger side which will free spin multiple times. 

Was checking the service manual and it says to replace the bushings and the positioner every time servicing the caliper.    Checked my calipers and I don't see a positioner and I can't tell if the bushings are there and just not visible.   I see multiple people here saying the positioner isn't needed, so just grease the pin?   And replace the bushings or no?   Any other tips?

Added pictures and everything looks new but car has been sitting for an unknown but likely lengthy period since the restore.   Pads appear new.  Brake fluid is very clean and DOT 5

TIA

Bullitt-

Quote from: MKA on December 03, 2021, 10:07:54 PM
Apologies in advance attaching to an old thread but I have a related question and it seemed appropriate. 

My drivers side caliper / brake pad is dragging on the disc.   If I spin the wheel jacked up I get less than 1 spin and the wheel runs 220f on the hub which is 60 degrees hotter than the passenger side which will free spin multiple times. 

Was checking the service manual and it says to replace the bushings and the positioner every time servicing the caliper.    Checked my calipers and I don't see a positioner and I can't tell if the bushings are there and just not visible.   I see multiple people here saying the positioner isn't needed, so just grease the pin?   And replace the bushings or no?   Any other tips?

Added pictures and yes everything looks new but car has been sitting for an unknown but likely lengthy period since the restore.   Pads appear new.  Brake fluid is very clean and DOT 5

TIA
From what I understand the original style positioner did little & was omitted in later models.
It appears to me that the caliper has been painted post assembly as the bushing & guide pin(bolt head center of bottom photo & there's a second obscured at the top) should be black & shiny metal respectively. This may be the source of your issue as that could prevent the caliper from moving freely.  A new hardware kit & cleaning/polishing the guide pin along with proper lubrication may solve the problem https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1042277&cc=1078680&pt=1736&jsn=584
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

MKA

Thanks.  That makes sense I don't see much of a market for the positioner.  Yes they painted almost everything.   Looks great till you go to do something.  I looked at the rebuild kit and it looks like the bushings and the anti rattle clip.   They did not paint the clip.  I'm going to order the bushings and the  pin.