Main Menu

Dog dish hubcaps

Started by Burdar, August 26, 2018, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

Some are stainless, others are aluminum. When did they change? I picked up an aluminum one today for a wall hanger. I thought the finish looked strange. It turns out it was painted an aluminum color. Did the factory ever paint them? The black "ribs" on the side looked factory painted.

RUNCHARGER

There were painted steel ones on the really low line pick up trucks. I'm not sure when they went from stainless to aluminum, sometime after 72 most likely.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

I looked into the subject trying to figure out which was correct when I was seeking parts for my T/A, and at the time the word seemed to be that aluminum was phased in sometime around spring of '70.  Therefore T/As were aluminum, but most '70s were steel.  By '71 they were all stainless.
I have a painted NOS aluminum one, I've never figured out the story on those are.

6bblgt

correct, the aluminum Dodge ones were introduced around the T/A introduction, Plymouth waited for 1971

the painted ones, steel & aluminum are truck parts

Burdar

So they started out as stainless, then moved to aluminum...then back to stainless?  I've also got a set of stainless ones that I think came off of a 74 Dart Sport originally.  They were stainless in 74?

Quotethe painted ones, steel & aluminum are truck parts

Good to know thanks!  Well, they aren't painted any more.  The seller had a sticker on it that I couldn't remove cleanly.  I had a can of brake clean handy so I thought maybe that would loosen up the glue.   :haha:  It was only $5 and is a little dented up.  It's getting turned into a clock.

6bblgt

Cuda_mark

I think he meant to say by '71 they were all aluminum

Burdar

I'll have to take a closer look at them.  They look stainless from a distance.  They are buried in the shed right now.

JH27N0B

Quote from: Cuda_mark on August 27, 2018, 11:44:57 AM
I think he meant to say by '71 they were all aluminum
Yup, I meant by '71 they were all aluminum.  I can't walk and chew gum at the same time let alone think and type correctly at the same time!  :looney: