Main Menu

E-Body Steering Column Part 2 (Disassembly)

Started by Cuda Cody, January 07, 2017, 10:48:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Part 2 of 4 of a "How-To" series about E-Body Steering columns.  This video is a step by step guide of the disassembly of an E-Body Steering column.  Including where find and how to read the date codes.

headejm

GoodysGotaCuda

Very cool, I'll have to reference this when my column goes back together, but I have some cutting to do on it first!  :unbelievable:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

These are certainly helpful videos. You should be a shop class teacher :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Topcat

Great Video Cody.

Worth mentioning is using the go cart bearing instead of the nylon bushing on re assembly.

Timbbuc2

I for one really appreciate these videos, will save many people time and money to do it right the first time
Get in, I'll drive

Cuda Cody

Thanks guys for the nice comments.   :thankyou:  Hope the videos help.  Also, feel free to add anything you think I missed or that can make it better.   I know that I saw that bearing modification for the bottom of the column that was super slick.  If anyone knows about how to do that it would be great to add to the thread.  I'll get the last 2 videos done and uploaded asap. 

ec_co

visual/audio reference is awesome! truly makes it easier to learn and less daunting for the average joe. huge Kudos  :bigthumb:
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Topcat

Here is where you can get the upper column bearing.

http://dynamicrenovation.net/viewitem.php?productid=34

Before I put my bearing on, I took a Roloc fine grit on my pnuematic air tool and sanded it all over.

Then after that, I took a finer grit sand paper and sanded till it was smooth.
Slid the bearing on, and was done without any effort sliding it up into place.

You cannot put the bearing on from the top and slide it to the end.
The T pin needs to be removed.

Use locktite on the allen bolts for the bearing.

Cuda Cody

Sweet!  That lower bearing looks so much better then the plastic one.  And at a fraction of the cost of a plastic one too!   :ohyeah:

SteveG

First of all, awesome video :bigthumb:

Second, is the actual steel shaft the same between years? I have a bent shaft in mine that will need replaced.

Cuda Cody

You're talking about the metal steering shaft that the coupler goes on?  I do believe that all the shafts are the same throughout the years.  The only different being the Power Steering vs Manual Steering lengths.  Maybe someone that knows for sure will confirm this.   @anlauto   :help:

Quote from: SteveG on January 08, 2017, 07:17:55 PM
First of all, awesome video :bigthumb:

Second, is the actual steel shaft the same between years? I have a bent shaft in mine that will need replaced.

Jay Bee

Thought I'd ask here instead of starting a new topic.

Once I'm down far enough, can the steering lock wheel be removed while the column is still in the car and connected to the steering gear box? It looks like that has to come off for me to get at the key in buzzer switch. FYI, I don't have any of the "special" Mopar tools.

anlauto

Quote from: Jay Bee on April 30, 2018, 04:24:42 PM
Thought I'd ask here instead of starting a new topic.

Once I'm down far enough, can the steering lock wheel be removed while the column is still in the car and connected to the steering gear box? It looks like that has to come off for me to get at the key in buzzer switch. FYI, I don't have any of the "special" Mopar tools.
Sure, that's not a problem, remove the collar, and knock the pin out....easy peasy  :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration