Main Menu

e-brake cable routing

Started by Challenger in NC, January 30, 2021, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

I had subframe connectors installed awhile back and had intentions of drilling slotted holes for the e-brake cable, but of course forgot. Car has not been painted but is at the shop and scheduled for paint next month.  I will probably just drill them after paint and touch up the area since its not in a highly visible spot and the undercarriage is going to be primer color. Are there any alternative ways to setup the brake cable that would eliminate the need to drill holes in the connectors?

RUNCHARGER

Not really: I had the joy of doing that as well. I made slots in them with a grinder. It'll come out prettier if you do it now, I had to do mine with the painted belly. Kind of need the cable up there to see where it goes through though.           
Sheldon

Challenger in NC

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 30, 2021, 02:53:28 PM
Not really: I had the joy of doing that as well. I made slots in them with a grinder. It'll come out prettier if you do it now, I had to do mine with the painted belly. Kind of need the cable up there to see where it goes through though.         

I would like to do it now but unfortunately the car is away but once it does come home, I can get it up in the air, lay out the cable and then slot them.

anlauto

I had to do this on a customer's 70 challenger as well.... :headbang:

The current Challenger I'm building with have an electric E Brake installed :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Is it a 70 you're working on ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Challenger in NC

Quote from: anlauto on January 30, 2021, 04:12:58 PM

Yup, 70. Tell me about the electric brake you are going to use.

dodj

Quote from: Challenger in NC on January 30, 2021, 04:55:48 PM

I used an Estopp. It's works great so far.
https://www.estopp.com/
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

I remember looking at this unit a couple of years ago, but based on the videos it doesn't look like it releases fast enough to allow it to be used if you're caught at a stop going up hill.  I still have the stock brake release in my Challenger but gave serious thought to putting a hand brake release behind the shift to have better control during these situations.  It doesn't happen often, but it's pretty hairy when it does as few drivers seem to recognize the need to leave space between them and the car in front of them. 

Challenger in NC

Quote from: dodj on January 30, 2021, 05:00:13 PM

Have any pics of how you mounted it?

anlauto

Quote from: Challenger in NC on January 30, 2021, 06:32:01 PM

Have any pics of how you mounted it?

I just received mine from Summit on Friday and plan on installing it this week, watch my build thread for pictures...My install may not be conventional though... :thinking:

anlauto

If you're working on a 70...take a string from the hole which the cable exits the transmission crossmember at the rocker, to the front of the cable guide at the rear of the car...this string will tell you the placement of the cable ...then cut your slots... :alan2cents:

anlauto

@dodj    I'd be interested in seeing where you mounted it as well  :popcorn:

dodj

I have sub frame connectors and I welded two 90* brackets to the connectors underneath the passenger side just back from the t-bar crossmember.
I'll look through some pictures to see if I have any of the install.  :bigthumb:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on January 31, 2021, 05:19:13 AM
I have sub frame connectors and I welded two 90* brackets to the connectors underneath the passenger side just back from the t-bar crossmember.
I'll look through some pictures to see if I have any of the install.  :bigthumb:

Oh, yea those sub frame connectors would make it easy....my current build won't have those  :thinking: