Main Menu

Emergency Brake Handle

Started by gpm6367, May 13, 2020, 05:30:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gpm6367

I went to pop the emergency brake on my 71 Challenger and the release rod broke. Wtf?

Anyone have a diagram that shows the parts involved? Is the rod replaceable or part of a larger assembly?

Chryco Psycho

Part of the whole unit , but being creative it could be fixed by welding it or maybe threading it

gpm6367

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

:takepicture:
The pull rod to release the pedal correct ?
It is rivited on

gpm6367

Thanks for the picture.

Yes the pull rod snapped right where it seems to make that bend into the assembly near that guide hoop.   About 4 to 6 inches from the handle.

Very strange.

So I'm left with replacing the entire Emergency brake pedal assembly or calling in Bubba to rig something up ?

Is the pull rod sold separately so I could remove the assembly and rivet a new one in place?

anlauto

The rod is not sold separately that I know of , but the 1971 style pedal is the same through 1974, so finding a replacement assembly shouldn't be too hard :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

If it snapped at the bend which makes sense then threading it is not possible but welding & grinding it should be easy enough