Main Menu

Final 15x10 tire/wheel test with 66-67 B body rear end

Started by GrandpaKevin, September 12, 2019, 12:07:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Finally got some free time to test the final tire size on the wife's Challenger.

Setup is a 1967 B body rear end with Dr. Diff's offset hanger kit.

ESPO +1.5 leaf springs

Rims are 15x10 with 5.75" backspacing

Previous tires were 275/60-15 that were stretched on the 15x10 wheels. 
IMO these tires are really too narrow for 15x10 wheels and the sidewall was pulled out to fit.

So today I pulled out a pair 325/50-15 BFG drag radials I've had stored in the basement for many many moons.
These things look like meatballs installed on the 15x10 wheels :bradsthumb:

So after doing some fitting and swapping out of various wheel spacers (using longer wheel studs) to fine tune the tire placement in the wheel well I ended up going with a 3/4" spacer which keeps the tire completely inside the quarter panel and the inside of the tire is about 1/2" away from the leaf spring.
The wife is extremely happy with the look.

gzig5

Looks good to me! 
Very timely.  I'm getting ready to start prepping my '66 B-body rear end and I was wondering about how much room I'd end up with.  I was hoping that a 335 wide tire would fit and it looks like the possibility is there.

ClarkWGrizwald

Whats the difference in B vs E rear ends? B= narrower?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Dakota

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: ClarkWGrizwald on September 12, 2019, 06:49:01 PM
Whats the difference in B vs E rear ends? B= narrower?

About 2" difference.
66-67 B width approx. 54 1/4" vs. E-body at appox. 56 31/64"

ClarkWGrizwald

Got it! Good to know!
But wouldnt the leaf springs be the main limiter on tire width? They make the 1" off set spring mounts. I thought that would be about the max you could go no matter what rear end you ran.  You would just need more back space in the wheel. 
Im looking to put 10" rims on my 74 cuda with stock rear end and just get the 1" offset spring mounts and i expect that to be all that would be needed (and proper offset wheels (5.5")) . Am i wrong?

ClarkWGrizwald

Quote from: gzig5 on September 12, 2019, 01:11:07 PM
Looks good to me! 
Very timely.  I'm getting ready to start prepping my '66 B-body rear end and I was wondering about how much room I'd end up with.  I was hoping that a 335 wide tire would fit and it looks like the possibility is there.
I have a set of 335s in my basement that I ran on my viper. You think they will fit? What all are you doing to prep? Thanks!

Swamp Donkey

I like it.  I might have to go on a B body Dana 60 quest. Two questions. 

1) is the Dr Diff spring relocation a 1" or 1.5"?

2) Any modifications to your stock rear wheel well?
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

GrandpaKevin

I used the 1" kit but a Challenger can use the bigger kit I believe, contact Dr. Diff as he is the expert.

No mods to wheel wheels.

With the offset hanger kit the B body rear end is a bolt in install.

Keep in mind when searching, B body rear ends come in slightly different sizes depending on the year.

Here is a post on what slight modifications I needed to do.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/b-body-rear/9817/msg135979#msg135979

dave73

Dr diff doesn't sell the 1.5 kit anymore, talked to him on the phone earlier this week

gzig5

Quote from: ClarkWGrizwald on September 12, 2019, 07:48:14 PM
Quote from: gzig5 on September 12, 2019, 01:11:07 PM
Looks good to me! 
I have a set of 335s in my basement that I ran on my viper. You think they will fit? What all are you doing to prep? Thanks!

The B-body has the springs on 44" centers and the E-body are at 46" centers so the Dr. Diff 1" relocation kit makes it a drop in without any welding on the perches.  1.5" kit no longer available.

There is a guy on Moparts that has run 335-18s on his Ebody doing road tracking but I think he has the 1.5" relocation kit.  Wheel offset has to be perfect.  I think the factory wheel housings are big enough if you get the spring out of the way.

I think a 305 is pretty easy.  I'm going to try and find a cheap 11" wide 18" wheel with a lot of offset and used or flat 315-335 tire from a tire shop off CraigsList to use as a model and then play with offests to figure out what will fit with what offset.  THere are adjustable tools you can use too.   I will use or make an adapter for chevy or BMW/Mercedes wheel patterns to gain access to more wheels to play with.  You can by one or a pair for $25 that should be good enough for sizing but I don't think I'd drive on them much. 

I need to do some more looking but certain sizes don't have much selection so finding a size from an older Corvette or Porche helps with tire selection.  I want to do more road course than drag race.

ClarkWGrizwald

I have these rims and tires also:
18x 11" with 315s on them from my road race car . one pair has 7.5" back space and the other pair has 8.25"back space. I certainly could experiment with them but with my current stock location leaf springs, not gonna fit at all. Even my 18x10 rims with 305s and  6.5" BS couldn't clear the springs as is.

I can weld. And i have a spare E body rear end drom to drum in the garage. Im gonna use it.  Is there any way I can make my own 1.5" relocations out of a 1.0" set? Anyone have any pictures of a 1.5 off set kit? I need new rear springs anyway so....its either fab up these relocations or go to a full on coil over setup.

I need new tires as my current tires are literally 33 years old. And i don't want to buy 205/14" tires. I have no intentions of running these 14" rims.  So....i need to get the suspension figured out, then order the rims and tires. If I can get an 18x11 to fit,  I'd so love to use 335 rears!  A 10" rim is way too small for 335s. Even an 11" is too small. A 12" or 13" would be ideal.  But I'll run the 335s on the 11s for now since I have a brand new set and eventually go to a 315 on 11" wheels.

My use is street, but I want a car that handles like a track car.  I have a different purpose built car I take to the track. 

What's the widest rim you guys have run on the front?   

Loving all the knowledge! Thank you!!

ClarkWGrizwald

gzig5

Clark,
You and I are on similar trajectories.  I want to run the twisties and don't have much interest in drag strip stuff.  Those wheels you have should be great to play with because you can adjust spacers to try a lot of offsets.  Here is the thread I think I mentioned before, I think he has the 1.5" kit.  This guy tracks his car a lot and sells parts.  The original pics are screwed up but there are good ones a couple pages in.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2296697/1.html

Regarding the 1.5" kit,  I may look at doing that, I have the equipment.  I just got his 1" kit and it is not rocket science.  The only reason I'm aware of that he stopped doing it was some interference with the rear valance that guys didn't want to deal with.

ClarkWGrizwald

I read that thread late last night.  I agree, not too complicated to make the 1.5". Even using a 1" kit and add a longer bolt and a few washers would push it out to 1.5 inches. Im sure i could reinforce it or something by welding up a support bracket etc.  Obviously, that really needs to be done 1st so some mock up can be done to get rims on order asap .