Main Menu

Freakin Bubbles

Started by PatO, October 25, 2018, 07:51:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

PatO

:steamingmad:  I've got most of my all new brake system installed so I went back to bench bleed my master cylinder before I hooked up all the lines.  I have a new Dorman Master Cylinder for use with power front disc/rear drum set up.

I started out with the kit that uses the small plastic inserts that push into the brake line ports and feed the tubes that return the fluid to the master cylinder. Never could get the air completely out after an afternoon of pumping the master cylinder.  I kinda felt air was getting past these inserts and back into the system on the return stroke.

Today I got a bit better kit that had the plastic screw in plugs of the correct size. I hooked up this assembly and started working a away on eliminating the air.  It seems I can't quite get it done right.

The rear (larger) chamber in the master cylinder, which I believe is for the front discs, seems to be fine after several attempts. The front (smaller) chamber is problematic.  I think I have it and then out come a few more bubbles.

I'm using DOT 5 fluid and I'm being careful not to pump the cylinder too quickly. I'll try for a few minutes and then give it a break for 15 or twenty minutes. Just when I think I have it right again, out comes some more bubbles.  :steamingmad: :steamingmad:

As I push the plunger in I can see an occasional small bubble rise from the bottom of the chamber ??  So I'm still wondering if air is getting past the plastic fitting still? I'm pretty sure that I've pumped this at least 50 or 60 times or more this afternoon.  Argh!  So I've just walked away from it for the evening before a wrench or something goes flying out door.  I have a good pressure bleeder that I intend to use to bleed the system, I was wondering if I should install the master cylinder and pressure bleed the system and hope that takes care of the remaining bubbles.

Could anyone share some advice? Am I missing something real simple here . . . . .  :huh:

Thanx,  and oh yes, really hard to write this post without using the term "stroked" . . .   Oh well, I had to say it some where.  :D

1 Wild R/T

Order one of these....   https://www.amazon.com/Cardone-10-5000MCB-Master-Cylinder-Bleeder/dp/B002JSM7HA     I need to order a new one, my current one is 20 plus years old & the tip split....

Bolt the M/C on the car, leave the lines disconnected, fill the reservoirs about 2/3rds full, dip the syringe into the front reservoir & pull back the plunger, insert the tip of the syringe in the front port of the M/C & push..... (It's a good idea to have a old beach towel under the M/C) Watch the bubbles, usually the stop half way through the first syringe but push all the fluid through.....  Install the front line & move to the rear reservoir & repeat.... Now bleed the rest of the system....  If the system was already bled I have someone sit in the drivers seat, I crack both lines loose (towel still in position) & while the person presses down on the brake pedal tighten both lines....

PatO

Yes Sir!  The local NAPA store had this in stock.  Worked like a charm.  Thanx 1Wild R/T.  :ohyeah:

1 Wild R/T

Awesome!! Glad it worked for ya.... It always has for me...

I have always like NAPA, going way back years when I was DD a 51 Ford F1 or the 65 Fury III and they always seemed to have the parts that were needed when others didn't stock.
NAPA hours are not as good as others is the only bad .
NAPA know-how.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 73440 on October 26, 2018, 05:25:00 PM
I have always like NAPA, going way back years when I was DD a 51 Ford F1 or the 65 Fury III and they always seemed to have the parts that were needed when others didn't stock.
NAPA hours are not as good as others is the only bad .
NAPA know-how.

Twenty years ago when I had a shop NAPA was one of my go to suppliers.... These days the local one is just like going to Kragen/O Reily's/Autozone..... The old experienced counter guys got replaced by a kid who works cheaper & has no clue... The parts use to be premium stuff, these days it's made in China too cause they have to be price competitive with the chain stores.... Charge me more & sell me a quality part.... Where's Tommy Boy when ya need him? 

JS29

:iagree:I have to tell them at NAPA I want the good parts, not the same anymore. They have to compete with the partsRus stores!!!   :foul: