Main Menu

Front end suspension squeak and steering clunk.

Started by FSHTAIL, September 13, 2017, 11:49:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I believe my front shocks are on their way out, but when I push up and down on the car I hear a horrible squeak. I can't seem find it. Is there a common thing with these cars?

Also, recently when turning the steering wheel almost all the way to the left, I hear a little bit of a clunk. It's starting to make me pucker. 

Any advice would be great. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Cuda Cody

Might be your bushings.  Are you using original style rubber or the Polyurethanes?  The Polyurethane bushings need to be greased.

Rich G.

I agree, more then likely the control arm bushings. Could also be a dry ball joint.

Burdar

The suspension on these cars are pretty simple. There isn't a whole lot that could be causing the noise. You can disconnect the shocks to take them out of the equation. You can buy a stethoscope at Harbor Freight. That can help you isolate the noise. Have someone bounce the car as you point the stethoscope at the different bushing locations.

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
More often upper control arm bushing but check the lower too
Check the strut bushing too

Skunkworks Challenger

The squeak and clunk could be separate problems.  Shortly after reassembly my car developed a clunk that turned out to be a slightly loose strut rod .  I tightened the nut about one turn to tight and that cured the problem.  The squeak could be as others have suggested.

FSHTAIL

I need shocks all around.   
She's riding kinda caddy like. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Shane Kelley

I'm leaning toward control arm bushings. Uppers are easy to see if rubber is hanging out around them. Lowers are harder to see. You need a flashlight to see up in the K member where they mount. Rubber pieces hanging out or shiny raw steel showing. Since the lowers are a pain in the ass to change people tend to skip them on front end rebuilds. Lowers are usually the source for front suspension squeaks also. Not always but very common.   

Burdar

When you're checking things out, have a look at the steering box mounts.  The factory didn't weld those mounts very good.  It's possible that part of the mount has broken loose.  A popular upgrade is to fully box the steering mounts.  There can be a lot of flex at that box mount.  Also, have a look at the K-member where the lower control arm pin mounts.  While more of a problem on A-bodies, the welds can break that hold the tube in the K.