Main Menu

Front shocks

Started by -009-, July 08, 2018, 08:23:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

-009-

I've got a 1970 Cuda that currently has a steering/suspension issues. The cars handling ok at best, for example when you quickly change lanes or turn sharply the front end dips in the direction of the turn, to the point of being uncontrollable. The steering feels loose in general, so steering coupler was rebuilt and I will be adjusting the steering box shortly. The bushing and ball joints have been recently replaced along with the power steering pump.
The shocks are old and may also part of the issue. I'm considering ordering a set of single-adjustable Ridetech shocks to replace the old ones currently equipped. Will those be worth the money to be used on a stock suspension or should I stick with the non-adjustable type? If those are overkill what recommendations do you have for a replacement?

Thank you,

Cuda Cody

If your shocks are bad they should be replaced.  If you put weight on the bumper and let off fast how many times does the car go up and down before coming to a rest?

I use these $18 shocks from Rock Auto and they have been great.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9615&cc=1078444&jsn=433

But it almost sounds like there's more then just bad shocks.   :dunno:

Brads70

I'm using QA1 double adjustables and have been happy with them. If you use your car for mainly cruising then I would say they are overkill and to go with Cody's suggestion.

anlauto

Do you have a front sway bar ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Front sway bar helps but is not the cause of the front corner dipping to the point the steering is out of control.  I would look at your shocks, adjustable are nice but may be overkill.  The ones Cody suggested are good basic shocks, Bilstein are great for the money (PST sells them). I would also look closely for a crack in your suspension as this sounds pretty extreme.

BIGSHCLUNK

i run Bilstiens in the front. But as mention... sway bar?? And how worn/soft are the T-bars?  Handling is a combo of parts to say the least

fc7cuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 08, 2018, 09:13:51 PM

:bigthumb:  Can be easily painted if you're after a stock looking color.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: fc7cuda on July 09, 2018, 07:22:28 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 08, 2018, 09:13:51 PM

:bigthumb:  Can be easily painted if you're after a stock looking color.  :alan2cents:

What would be a "stock" colour if not black ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

How are the tie rod ends? What is your toe in? After you adjust the steering box how much of the stud is showing above the lock nut? Yes, I would just try the $20 shocks if it is all stock suspension anyway.
Sheldon

Burdar

Were the steering coupler "shoes" installed correctly?  Installing them backwards will cause coupler slop and loose steering.

HP_Cuda

Bilsteins made a huge improvement in my last Cuda.

:twothumbsup:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

-009-

Thanks for you guys input so far, I feel like some progress has been made through the problem still persist. To address a few questions you asked the car is equipped with a sway bar, all bushings and ball joints are new and tight. The steering coupler "shoes" are installed correctly has zero play from the steering column to the pump. Outside a forward and back motion...forgot a snap ring when reassembling it. The shocks have been replaced by the ones recommended by Cuda Cody.
I'm starting to lean toward the steering box being the issue, although it appears to be a "new" box. I have made one attempt at adjusting the sector shaft, I need to experiment with it a little more. There is roughly 1/2 of the stud exposed including the lock nut.

Some observations I made while messing with the steering box.
Car running:
- Wheels react when turning the steering wheel, without play.
- Test drive at 30mph had similar results as before, maybe not as severe.

Car off:
- Observed the gap between the coupler and steering box increases/decreases when turning the steering shaft. When turned to one extreme the shaft gap is reduced to .338 and its widest is .392 for a difference of .054.
- Observed a slight side to side movement on sector shaft, when shaking the column.
- Steering wheel is slightly offset and has about 5 in of play until the wheels react.

I'm bringing it in for an alignment tomorrow morning, so maybe that will help?

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Let us know what he finds wrong.
Sheldon

-009-

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 10, 2018, 10:12:29 PM
Yup: Let us know what he finds wrong.

I have a feeling it's going to be bad...really bad.

The alignment thread Chryo Psyco posted in the tech section will be given to the tech to use as a guideline.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/reference-material/18/alignment-specs/324/

HP_Cuda

Have your alignment guy also check out the front bearings for slop.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200