Main Menu

Hard spot on spinning pump

Started by Marty73, December 29, 2022, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marty73

So on my second new power steering pump on my 73 Challenger, so pretty sure it's not another bad pump. The pump spins, but has a tight spot that causes the belt to slip. The longer it ran, the less the "tight" spot caused and issue but it never fully went away.

I'm trying to get my power steering to work and have replaced the pump (twice) and rebuilt the metering valve on top of the power steering box. I'm to the point where I think I just need to bite the bullet and replace the steering gear(box). Power steering goes all the way to the left and no amount of adjustment of the metering valve fixes it. It's also impossible to turn right while running.

I'm thinking there is something clogged/hung in the actual box not letting fluid pass which is causing the tightness on the power steering pump. The previous pump didn't have a "tight" spot but would keep overheating. Before I bought the car the previous owner borrowed the power steering pump and hoses to use on his other car, so the gear was "open" to the elements for about 13 years until I put a new pump and hoses. I think it's just rusted/toast internally. I've never had it working.

Thought I would ask the group for any more ideas before I dive into replacing the steering gear (and pitman arm). Any other ideas?
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Rich G.

Box should be replaced or rebuilt if it's locked to one side and can't be centered.

BIGSHCLUNK

Steer n gear is in Ohio, that who did my steering box. went to a level 3 - no regrets

Marty73

6 hours...3 just to get the roll pin out of the steering column and 3 more to get the bolts off the steering gear. What a nightmare....

Tomorrow the new one goes back in (if the wife doesn't redirect me....)

Sent from my iPlay_40 using Tapatalk

1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack