Main Menu

Headlights going out

Started by Ramcharger32348, July 02, 2017, 09:23:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ramcharger32348

My headlights will go out everynow and then.  That is really exciting.   Had same problem yrs ago on a 62 Dodge.  Is it in the switch or is there a relay?  All wiring is new, including dimmer switch. 

1 Wild R/T

The switch has a built in circuit breaker... It goes open & the lights go out.... But typically it's not the switch that causes it, there is something causing higher than normal current demand.....

Personally I'd add relays & be done with it... The lights will be brighten than they've ever been & 100% trouble free...

Cuda Cody

You can test the switch with a multi-meter.  Use the OHM setting and make sure to wiggle it to see if there is a bad connection or something. 

Can you tell us moire about when it happens and how long they stay out?  When they go out, do the brights go out too?  What about the marker and dash lights?  Have you check for a loose connection at the bulkhead?

Jay Bee

Happened to me a few years back. Driving in the dark they started to go off and on, drove home with the road lamps on. After a lot of testing and swapping the problem went away when I put in a used headlight switch that I had lying around. Not saying that's your issue, only what worked for me.

Ramcharger32348

Both high and low go out and hitting dimmer doesn't change things.  Out for eternity at 60 mph.  Probably 10 to 15 sec.  All wiring in whole car is new.  Headlight switch, no

Shane Kelley

I have seen this a few times. The cuprite was the dimmer switch. Both high and low beams go through it. It's hard to test because it doesn't happen all the time.  Try one. There cheap 

Cuda Cody

How often does it happen?  Like every time you go out?  Does the parking lights and dash lights go out too, or just the headlights?

You've double checked the connections and grounds?  Might be worth trying a new switch? 

Quote from: Ramcharger32348 on July 02, 2017, 03:57:57 PM
Both high and low go out and hitting dimmer doesn't change things.  Out for eternity at 60 mph.  Probably 10 to 15 sec.  All wiring in whole car is new.  Headlight switch, no

Chryco Psycho

power comes from the headlight switch & goes to the dimmer which switches high to low , so if it is out with both I suspect it is the headlight switch ,
Slotts can fix you up on the switch , but I would use relays & take all of the load away from the switch itself , then there will only be milliamps going through the switch .

Ramcharger32348

The relay sounds like a good idea.  Tap in to the wire taking power to the dimmer switch, run it thru a fused relay and that should do it.  At least that is what I will try.  Cheap fix if it works.  Thanks to all the suggestions.

Chryco Psycho

I do it further down , you have a red & purple wire to the front lights so I cut in the relays right beside the start relay & take battery power from the start relay to  feed the headlights so now the load through the headlight switch & dimmer switch is milliamps

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 02, 2017, 09:57:03 PM
I do it further down , you have a red & purple wire to the front lights so I cut in the relays right beside the start relay & take battery power from the start relay to  feed the headlights so now the load through the headlight switch & dimmer switch is milliamps

Exactly how I do it...

Shane Kelley

Has the issue been resolved yet? Curious of the outcome.  :thinking:

Ramcharger32348

Going to install the relay today.   Will post after a good long test.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Ramcharger32348 on July 05, 2017, 08:18:25 AM
Going to install the relay today.   Will post after a good long test.

Should be two relays... One for low beam, one for high beam.....  Do it like Chryco Psycho outlined above...

Ramcharger32348

I put in the relay and it seems to work just fine.  I put a fused line (30 amp but put in a 15 to start) to the relay.  Removed power lead at dimmer and ran it to the relay and back. wha la   simple fix.  thanks for all the imput.