Main Menu

Help Brake assembly

Started by pink aar, December 21, 2017, 09:39:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

I need some help here with this emergency brake assemble. The retainer that holds the brake cable with the hole through it with the bolt and nut.
The question is what part of the cable is held by the retainer??? The purple arrows  pointing at the end has like spring finger that would go in a backing plate???
The red arrow is pointing at a  barrel that is to big to go under the retainer?
The black arrow is the stainless steel liner, that will fit under the retainer.
So, what does the retainer hold and why does both ends have spring like fingers??????????????

Burdar

On one end, the retainer holds the cable to the E-brake mechanism.  On the other end, the retainer holds the cable to a hole in the torsion bar x-member.

anlauto

Remove the one black clip and clamp down on the area where the clip is. Newer models don't have the clamp, only a hole where you push the cable through, hense the clip on both ends. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

That must be what it is.  I was looking up E-brake mechanisms and it looks like some use a clamp and bolt to hold the end of the cable to the mechanism.  My 73 just has a hole.  The spring clip is used on both ends.

When did this change?

pink aar

I don't understand Alan. Your saying the older  models have hole .I understand that. What about the 70 style??????????????

pink aar

Alan, should I use a cut off wheel???

Burdar

1970 must use a clamp/bolt/nut.  You can remove the clip on the interior side.

The newer models like my 73, just have a hole in the mechanism where the cable passes through.  On that style mechanism, you need a clip on both ends of the cable. 

NO CUT OFF WHEEL.  The clip will pull right off.

pink aar

Anyone have a good picture of the 70. Thanks

I know nothing

Burdar

Found this on a google search.  It shows a clamp and bolt holding the cable to the mechanism.  This must be the style you have.  Just take a pliers and pull the clip off of the cable.

anlauto

1970 E Brake is a one year only deal, Darren's above picture is perfect...just pull the black clip off the cable easy peasy :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration