Main Menu

How to clean raised white letter tires

Started by 303 Mopar, September 30, 2018, 07:09:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

I made a quick video on cleaning white letter tires.  I tried Simple Green, Goo Gone, Wesley's Bleach White and none had good results. Finally took SOS pads and a BBQ brush and they cleaned up pretty good.

B5fourspeed

06Daytona

I've been using SOS pads to clean white walls/letters for about 30 years. For something that just won't come off no matter how hard you try I use a little lacquer thinner on a rag.

bpsmopar

I've used sos pads for 45 years to clean white walls & white letters with hot water. Still the best solution.

DodgeGuy

Same here, SOS pads seem to be the best cleaner I've found for cleaning them.

When we bought our Challenger last October, the the white lettering on the rear tires especially were almost brown.  It's taken a few times, but this last time at scrubbing with SOS pads finally got them to where they are back to about 85% of their new bright white color.  Given where they started from, if this is the best I can get them, I'll take it.  The front ones were just marginally dirty when we bought the car, and cleaned up nicely the first time, but the back ones were so bad...well, wow.

I might try the BBQ brush, comet and/or hot water in conjuction with the SOS pads just to see if I can get them even closer to 100% clean.

1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

RUNCHARGER

You'll be a leg up if you aren't starting with BFG's.
Sheldon

Racer57

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 30, 2018, 03:55:14 PM
You'll be a leg up if you aren't starting with BFG's.
Amen to that. I've had tires that had never been touched look better than new BFGs. I even used a wire brush on a drill to try and find white lettering.

71-440

I remember using SOS pads back in the day on raised white letters. Can't beat it.
Joe

Daveh

You can also use a little sandpaper.  Remember the white letters are all white and go pretty deep. 

Rich G.

My rear BFG since new I can't get clean!!! Fronts are perfect, rears are brown!

Joegrapes

I always took a finger nail brush, or any stiff brush, dipped it in water and sprinkled cleanser, like Ajax, then brushed the letters. They come out looking like new with very little elbow grease.

JS29

Quote from: Joegrapes on October 04, 2018, 04:27:23 PM
I always took a finger nail brush, or any stiff brush, dipped it in water and sprinkled cleanser, like Ajax, then brushed the letters. They come out looking like new with very little elbow grease.
That is what I do!   :welcome: @Joegrapes  From central New York.

303 Mopar

Quote from: JS29 on October 05, 2018, 05:42:04 AM
Quote from: Joegrapes on October 04, 2018, 04:27:23 PM
That is what I do!   :welcome: @Joegrapes  From central New York.

That sounds like a good method too, thanks!

dave73

I've had really good luck with a blue scotchbrite and tire cleaner

70RTSE383

Thanks to those who responded. To the person who said I would be better off not using BFGs.  Well O like them and have had several. Still have one in my shed for old times sake that is 40+ years old and still has nice bright letters and held air. I have tried many of the techniques mentioned except sos pads. I will try that if I need to later on. Back in the 70's I used a scrub brush and Ajax cleanser. It worked well. However I wouldn't use that now with my new rally wheels. I have used 000 steel will on vintage motorcycle wheels to get the ancient scum off and it did work. Makes sense sos would work equally well. I thought it was funny when one person suggested using sand paper...Huh where have I heard that before.
Any way thanks!😎
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70