Main Menu

Hydro Boost Project

Started by Cudajason, December 31, 2021, 07:48:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Looking really good.  Do you have a list of the main components you are using such as the pump, MC, etc??  I'm hoping to start a conversion this summer and want to start looking for the HW.

That special socket you mentioned is the long thing with the square drive in post #17?

dodj

Really looking forward to your review on the performance of this project Jason. I've never considered the Challenger a poor stopper after I restricted the rears so your review will likely influence whether I do the same thing.  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on March 21, 2022, 04:56:45 AM
Another interesting cudajas thread to follow.  :bigthumb:
Is the spacer you added just to make up for the missing vacuum booster?

@dodj thanks man...just trying to share what I am learning to help others.

The hydroboost unit is very long behind the mounting plate and nut.  On the vehicles these come off of, there is lots of space under the dash to fit that snout.  Then there is a pushrod to the brake pedal.  On our e-bodies, there is only about 4 inches from the firewall to the brake pedal, so you have to move the boost unit forward in the engine bay to accommodate for its size and then cut down the push rod to mate it to the break pedal.

I used the factory power booster to measure how much distance I needed.

I actually pushed mine out a little further then I needed to by maybe 1/4 inch so my push rod is a little longer and has some adjustability to it, just in case I needed it. 

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: gzig5 on March 21, 2022, 06:43:53 AM
Looking really good.  Do you have a list of the main components you are using such as the pump, MC, etc??  I'm hoping to start a conversion this summer and want to start looking for the HW.

That special socket you mentioned is the long thing with the square drive in post #17?

@gzig5 I can pull that together and post it, happy to share!

Yes that is the special socket.  they are available on eBay as well.

Quote from: dodj on March 21, 2022, 02:18:49 PM
Really looking forward to your review on the performance of this project Jason. I've never considered the Challenger a poor stopper after I restricted the rears so your review will likely influence whether I do the same thing.  :dunno:

@dodj I will post a review once I have it all wrapped up.  I can tell you the one thing I am happy about already is that the break pedal is much lower then it was.  I was using manual brakes and I was never happy with where the pedal sat, very high.  I also hated the force needed to hold the car at a stop.  if you let up any on the pedal the car would creep forward.  So I expect that to be better.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Glacial progress...just crazy at work and have not had much time to do anything other the dream and order parts.

Got the last AN like made up today. You can see in the pic how they will run.  I will add some hose spacers. 

Next i need to take it all apart the clean everything up for paint. Also need to fab the mount for the prop valve and bend the bend the hard lines etc etc.

jimynick

Nice work Jason, it's really coming together and I'll bet you'll be thrilled with the way it works!   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Back at it again today.

Blew it all apart.

Got the prop valve bracket fabbed up. I am happy with it, but not 100% on where the valve sits. I am not sure I have clearance for the rear brake port on the bottom. Ill fab that line ip this week and see.  The rubber boot for the brake light is also tight.

Now its time to warm up. Man I need and insulated garage.

Cudajason

Great day today out in the garage. Finished up the major fab work on the hydrobost install with bending the pass side brake line.

Now I need to get all the parts painted and ready for the final install. Then we will will see if I really know what I am doing. Finger crossed all the new lines do not leak.  :fingerscrossed:

I do not love the lines from the distribution valve to the line lock, but its the best I could do for now.
Have I showed you guys the awesome xmas gift my wife got me, this Dewalt under hood light is awesome!!!

Cudajason

Progress progress progress. 

Spent a few hours prepping parts for paint today. Beauty day for it too!

Did some grinding, some welding, which lead to more grinding, but ready for primer! 

Anybody else have trouble keeping their work bench clean...I am a messy worker!!!

YellowThumper

Cool. Progress is progress.
Yes on the messy workbench.
Starts clean but in short order it looks like the Tasmanian Devil was there.
Then as soon is it gets too bad I simply push the reset button and all is cleaned again for the next round.

Wish I saw this thread earlier. You appear to have it sorted well with everyone's help.
I also added HB to mine. Also used the higher mounting. Used the same pivot rods from power setup and then also cut mc push rod to be a touch shorter.
Not sure how your lines are run, but their path should be pump to hydroboost in line. HP return line then feeds the power steering pressure line. Then the PB and HP drain lines can just T into each other before returning to the pump.
This flow path is for safety to always have brakes fed first.
Master cylinder (and unit) I have is late 90s Mustang.
Been on for many years and is perfect for feel and stopping ability.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudajason

Thanks @YellowThumper yep that is how my lines will be run.

Today I painted all the bits. Almost ready for final assembly and testing.

Cudajason

Sunday I got all the hardware assembled to put it all back together, just have to hit it all with black oxide treatment.

Yesterday was dull a dreary here and just could not get motivated to get anything done.

Jason

Cudajason

Today I finally got some time in the garage. Work has been crazy, so I decided to take today off and take some me time.

Got all the hardware the black oxide treatment. It turned out ok.

Plan to get some time over the weekend to got at least some of it assembled.

Also got some new connectors in so I can wire up my new gauges using the factory harness.

Man so much still to do.

Cudajason

Had the day off work today, so out the the garage and got a bunch of assembly done!

Brads70

Looking good!  :clapping:  Waiting to hear the road test results!  :veryexcited: