Main Menu

Idler arm bolt

Started by B5fourspeed, February 23, 2020, 11:54:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

On a 70 Cuda does the idler arm bolt go up from the bottom or from the top down.I have seen pictures of both.

GoodysGotaCuda

I'm not sure if it's correct, but I put the bolt in from the top. If for some reason I lose the nut, I don't want that bolt to fall out...
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

In from the top according to my '73 service manual.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 23, 2020, 04:43:07 PM
I'm not sure if it's correct, but I put the bolt in from the top. If for some reason I lose the nut, I don't want that bolt to fall out...
:iagree: No one can cheat the law of gravity!

anlauto

Unfortunately Ma-Mopar missed the gravity class.....
The nut is on the top with a cotter pin in 1970-71.... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

....and of course...this is from the 1974 Parts Manual  :looney: ... I don't have a 73 service manual...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

:drunk:  :haha:  Guess you get to pick whatever way you want to install it.  I put it facing down the nut on bottom, but I'm sure both ways will be fine.

Shane Kelley

Unrestored low mileage RJ Reynolds 71 Hemi Cuda has it for the top down. I love this car for reference materiel. I grabbed every picture they had from the listing.

B5fourspeed

Cody, I tightened the bolt to 60 pounds.How hard or easy should the Idler arm move.

Shane Kelley

Should move freely. Most times there is a thin washer (shim) that goes between the idler and the K member ear. If you don't use it sometimes it with bind and cause the idler to be stiff.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Firm, not stiff and please drop the bolt in. Gravity contributes to logic.
Sheldon