Main Menu

Is a 71-2 B-Body K Member the same, interchangeable, with a 70-74 E-Body?

Started by chryslers4ever, February 10, 2019, 11:43:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chryslers4ever

Can members help me with a DEFINITIVE ANSWER on the above question.!There are many very smart members here and I would appreciate your help. Years ago, even in a Chrysler book, they said that the K-Members were EXACTLY the same, only different part numbers! I have read since then that the steering box mounting angles are DIFFERENT and maybe sway bar mounting position is  also different. Can members help me with this question? Thanks everybody!

anlauto

The 71-2 B-Body K members are the same as the E Bodies. Even the frame rails, shock towers, inner aprons, etc...are the same. :twothumbsup:

The 70 B Body is different, with the different steering box angle  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chryslers4ever

So before I mount a 71-2 b body v-8 replacement k-member in my 73 e-body and go to all trouble of assembling the steering box, sway bar, and steering column, I wanted to to make sure the angle is not different than the original.

anlauto

Do you have your old K Frame ? The difference is quite noticeable.

If you're certain the replacement is a 71-72 B Body then you'll have no issues.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chryslers4ever

I do not have the old v-8 one. I put a 6 cylinder version in just to steer the car in a rolling chassis situation. I looked for ever for a k-member in great shape. 98 % of the ones I came across had damage on the bottom middle of the k member. Finally I came across a 71 or 72 B-body with a 383, in GREAT shape. Took it out and put it aside for the future. That is the one I was going to put in my E-body. I will then have a 6 cylinder K-member to sell soon. Just for the heck of it where is the part number stamped on the K-member?