Main Menu

Is anyone running Polyglas tires that enjoys driving their car?

Started by 82firebird, June 06, 2017, 12:07:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

82firebird

With the release of the new Firestone Wide Oval Radial, I have been thinking about getting a set. Talked to a guy at our local Mopar show who pointed out the Wide Ovals were never factory on these cars and I should be using Goodyear Polyglas tires. I talked to a few people running those and they did not recommend for as often as I drive my car. We go to 2-3 cruise nights a week, averaging probably 50-150 miles per week. I don't drive in rain, and rarely on the highway, but I do on occasion. Looking for some real world opinions of those who have ran Polyglas tires and their comparison between each. I am currently running BFG T/A's, (like everyone else! lol) I am happy with them just would like a different look. Thanks in advance!

Cuda Cody

Welcome @82firebird    :welcome:  Are those your cars?   :lookatthat:   :clapping:  Very nice set of muscle cars you have there.   :veryexcited:

The BFG T/A's are known for being great tires.  I run the Goodyear Polyglas tires because I love the look.  But you drive your cars a lot more then I do.  I don't mind the tire at all.  It's not perfect, but the Goodyear Polyglas tires totally look awesome on E-Bodies. 

RUNCHARGER

My big deal is if the road is rutted badly by heavy trucks, that the Polyglas like to follow the ruts so you have to hang on to the wheel. If your local roads are in good shape it wouldn't be a big deal.
Sheldon

anlauto

I've had them on all of my cars since 1994. I love them. If you're going from radials to PolyGlas...you'll hate them. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

That's what I did in my Hemi Charger, man I loved the way it looked but it didn't drive as nice anymore. I tried to drive that car a lot too. I think if you're basically driving to shows and such and not putting a 500 mile day on the car, put polyglas on it. If you drive it 500 miles in a day, better stick to radials. Ha, I remember driving the Charger 200 miles to Carnation(?) in some rain, getting a rock in the windshield and then they wanted me to drive down a dirt road to get into the show field, I wasn't in a good mood at all that day, but you have to accept it if you drive them.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

I have F60 polyglas on my 71 Challenger and I don't mind them.  The furthest I drive the car is 60-65 miles to a show or cruise and the car is not great fun on the highway, but I'm too busy getting bothered by the engine spinning 4000 rpm with the 4:10 rear to really notice if I don't like the tires!
I put some vintage polyglas on my TA for show, but need to put new tires on it and repro polyglas is the only way I'll go.  One of my friends thinks it's crazy to not get radial TAs, but I couldn't stand looking at my restored car without having polyglas on it!

RUNCHARGER

Yes: You can't really call it restored with radials on it.
Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP2

Polyglas is a bias ply tire. They behave somewhat differently than a radial. If you have a radial friendly alignment, you will need to revert back to the OEM alignment specs to prevent premature wear of the polyglas units.  If you already notice a significant difference in road feel between driving your classic with radials and your daily driver, the difference with polyglas will be even more dramatic.

82firebird

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 06, 2017, 12:31:26 PM
Welcome @82firebird    :welcome:  Are those your cars?   :lookatthat:   :clapping:  Very nice set of muscle cars you have there.   :veryexcited:

The BFG T/A's are known for being great tires.  I run the Goodyear Polyglas tires because I love the look.  But you drive your cars a lot more then I do.  I don't mind the tire at all.  It's not perfect, but the Goodyear Polyglas tires totally look awesome on E-Bodies.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes those are my girls! 😄 I appreciate all the input. I guess the next thing to do is find a set of steel wheels and put Polys on!

usraptor

I had the Polyglas tires on my original '70 'Cuda and thought they handled fine, but of course radial tires hadn't come out yet and I had nothing else to compare them too.  I drove the cars on freeways and highways and from LA to Idaho without any issues.  I'll be putting BF Goodrich TA radials on my current '70 Cuda, mainly because I can buy a set for 1/3 the cost of a set of the repro Polyglass tires, otherwise I'd shoe it with Polyglas tires for a more OEM look.

Rich G.

I just got my Firestone FR70 14 tires. They sure look good. Just have to finish my car and put them on. I figure how bad can it be. It's not like it's a daily driver.

schtick

I went from T/A's to poly glas 4 years ago. I agree with all the replies on here. Take special note of what Runcharger said about following rits in the road. There are some spots where you literally have to grab the wheel, hang on tight and focus. Besides dealing with that once in a while, I have driven from CT to Carlisle 4 years in a row (about to be 5) and all the way Ohio for the NATS once. Have about 15,000 miles on them including several days at the track in F.A.S.T racing. They still look and ride like new. I also love the look on our cars. Find me at Carlisle and I'll be happy to have you drive it after we leave the show. Black '70 with Red Hockey stripe in stock Cuda row.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MoparLeo

Honestly.  The Firestone Wide Oval was a lot more popular on many Mopars back then than you might think.  Radials are much safer than bias ply tires of any brand or type. That is why they don't make them anymore except for reproductions for show.  Radials turn quicker, stop quicker and corner much better than bias, don't track and ride smooth.   The only reason anybody puts bias ply tires on their car is for show. That's it. Also, the reproduction Goodyear's are very expensive
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

76orangewagon

Aaron,
Your more than welcome to come drive my car to see what you think of my new Polyglas tires. They were a little out of round when I had them mounted and drove them for the first 20 miles but I think they ride fine and am more than happy with them, plus the squared off shoulder looks better than the rounded design of the radials.