Main Menu

Is tack welding an upper ball joint an acceptable practice?

Started by Solarguy, April 15, 2017, 05:12:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Solarguy

I'm Replacing upper ball joint and am only able to torque to about 50 lbs before it spins.  The old one came out easy compared to the other side  but not as easy as this new one is going in.  I've heard of people tack welding the top side but never did this myself.  Is this an acceptable practice?

Cuda Cody

:notsure:   I'm guessing the threads are worn out of the upper control arm?  I personally would not be worries about the control arm as it's pretty much shot if the threads are gone so welding is fine, but it would just come down to how much heat comes in contract with the ball joint.  That would be my concern.  What's @Brads70  thoughts?  He's a suspension guru.

GoodysGotaCuda

I had not-great threads pull through on my cuda before. I noticed a very noticeable amount of camber and limped the car home. The welded ball joints held, until they were retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Solarguy

Yeah, threads are real shallow.  I'm looking around for a replacement Driver side.  A friend just texted he may have one.

Solarguy

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 15, 2017, 05:26:11 PM
I had not-great threads pull through on my cuda before. I noticed a very noticeable amount of camber and limped the car home. The welded ball joints held, until they were retired.

Wow, that sounds scary.  You just laid a few tacks around the top?  It's a bad design that does not lend itself to multiple joint changes per arm. 

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Solarguy on April 15, 2017, 05:38:46 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 15, 2017, 05:26:11 PM

Wow, that sounds scary.  You just laid a few tacks around the top?  It's a bad design that does not lend itself to multiple joint changes per arm.

They were more like 1/2" welds than they were tacks.

The design works for what I suspect was the cars intended life span. I don't think they were engineered with being on the road ~50years later in mind.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

It's very common in circle track racing to tack weld balljoints. If the arm is damaged I'd say give it a shot nothing to loose. Just let it cool off and then grease it up.

Solarguy

[/quote]

The design works for what I suspect was the cars intended life span. I don't think they were engineered with being on the road ~50years later in mind.

[/quote]

Yeah, I know and this one was changed at least once.   

Solarguy

Quote from: Brads70 on April 15, 2017, 06:17:08 PM
It's very common in circle track racing to tack weld balljoints. If the arm is damaged I'd say give it a shot nothing to loose. Just let it cool off and then grease it up.

That's good to know

RUNCHARGER

I can't see why that wouldn't functionally work. The guy before you probably tore it up.
Sheldon

Solarguy

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 15, 2017, 07:08:39 PM
I can't see why that wouldn't functionally work. The guy before you probably tore it up.

The threads aren't  torn up, just worn out.  There are threads there, just very shallow.  No evidence of cross threading or abuse.  The pass side was tough to remove and I was worried about that one being good.    The Dr side came right out.  It looks like welding is ok if I can't find another one in a  reasonable amount of time.  Rather not do a repop one. 

1 Wild R/T

Whether you think so or not chances are the old ball joint was cross threaded... It doesn't visual harm the threads, instead it expands the threaded area of the control arm causing a loose fit....  Welding will fix it but replacing it is preferred..

HP2

The control arm is not made with threads. The ball joint has shallow threads to cut its own thread mating surfaces. Its entirely possible to cross thread or strip what is in the upper arm with subsequent installs. As Goody points out, there weren't designed for 50 years of usage.

Tacks or small stitches are not uncommon. The upper ball joint does not support the greatest percentage of weight, so they will survive just fine with this done to them.

Chryco Psycho

I also believe replacement is preferred but the good news is if the welds fail nothing serious will go wrong

jimynick

Did one of mine for the same reason and there's been zero issues in over 1000 miles so far. The joint is captive anyway. Just mind your heat, as mentioned.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"