Main Menu

Leaf spring choice for road use

Started by Vettefab, May 28, 2018, 02:55:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Vettefab

Hi everyone,

My rear springs are a bit tired and I'm looking forward to change them. I'd like to have a slight rake (bottom's up!)
I often drives with a fully loaded trunk, and probably a small teardrop camper in the future.
But I don't wanna have a bouncy ass when I drive hardly on small curvy roads.

I'd like to have the confirmation that the XHD would do the job if not, what would you advice ?
Barracuda 1970 Made in Rotterdam 170ci 3speed Manual

Pcut83

I wanted the exact same thing out of my new springs. I recently installed the XHD's from summit, and I'm glad I did. Rear sits up slightly higher than the front, and ride's great. Perfect stance in my opinion.

Vettefab

303 Mopar

A lot of people like www.espo.com. Great quality, decent pricing, the arch lasts a long time and they will make them whatever arch you want.  I would recommend +1" to raise the rear slightly or 2" to raise it more for bigger tires.

kawahonda

I heard Eaton makes bad ass USA springs.

Read lots of stories of people buying non-USA made springs and after a few weeks they started to sag right back where the originals were.

Also been hearing that it's common practice to +1 or +2 your order.

I'll probably go +1 because I'm not trying to stuff bigger tires than I need in the back, but a like a little bit of a rake.

What do you guys think?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

1 Wild R/T

Mopar XHD's are well known for sagging badly within a couple of years.....  ESPO has a very good reputation...

72hemi

I have been running the Mopar XHD for over a decade with no problems.
Life's too short to drive boring cars

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 72hemi on June 19, 2018, 09:21:23 AM
I have been running the Mopar XHD for over a decade with no problems.

I have a set on mine as well. They suck!  Maybe there are different production runs where some are better than others. The one's I have are way to soft. IMO

Chryco Psycho

I will not use mopar XHD Leafs , they are great when installed & quickly sag down , Espo would be my first choice , Eaton is good also , Don't waste your cash on Mopar springs , they are made in Mexico with poor steel not like the OEM

Vettefab

Heck... Just arrived last week :headbang:

Will see if some Mopar guy on this side of the pond wants them for a low-mile running car...

72bluNblu

Quote from: Vettefab on June 26, 2018, 02:49:47 AM
Heck... Just arrived last week :headbang:

Will see if some Mopar guy on this side of the pond wants them for a low-mile running car...

It's not all doom and gloom with the Mopar XHD's. They do sag, but that's not necessarily a bad thing unless you're looking for a higher ride height.

I put the made in Mexico Mopar XHD's in my Challenger years, and tens of thousands of miles, ago. Yes, they did sag within the first few months. But the spring rate is good (and that doesn't change, fyi) and I was happy with the ride height that the springs ended up at. Now, that being said, my car is lowered pretty substantially in the front and the rear ended up where I wanted it to be.

If you want significant front to rear rake, the Mopar XHD's aren't a good choice. But if you're looking for a lowered, more level stance there's nothing wrong with the XHD's. I think they're a decent, inexpensive choice if you're setting a car up for road handling.

Here's a straight on side shot of my car, long after the XHD's had settled. You can see it sits pretty level, but I also have the same height tires on both the back and front. If your rear tires are taller than the front, you'd have more rake.

BIGSHCLUNK

I'm running MOPAR XHD's been on over 12 years no issues...............  :notsure:  NIKKI's still got the rake I want. Maybe they used better steel back then??

oldmoparbuff

Where would you group the Super Stock springs?
I have a set of the Super Stock springs purchased from Direct Connection.  Just sitting and waiting.

Stock <Mopar XHD< Super stock

Chryco Psycho

I always added 1 more full leaf from Standens just under the main leaf using XHD springs , unless you have the front low like 72 blu the back sits too low

72bluNblu

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on June 26, 2018, 02:52:53 PM
I'm running MOPAR XHD's been on over 12 years no issues...............  :notsure:  NIKKI's still got the rake I want. Maybe they used better steel back then??

Not sure when they moved the manufacturing to Mexico,  but the XHD's on my car are the "sagging" ones and they're probably at least 8 years old.

Quote from: oldmoparbuff on June 26, 2018, 03:52:49 PM
Where would you group the Super Stock springs?
I have a set of the Super Stock springs purchased from Direct Connection.  Just sitting and waiting.

Stock <Mopar XHD< Super stock

Stiff as hell. I ran SS springs for a little bit before I bought the XHD's. They're good for launch traction and drag racing but they ride very stiff. I mean, I run 1.12" torsion bars up front and those SS speings made the back end too stiff even with the large torsion bars up front.