Main Menu

Level 1 suspension upgrades

Started by redgum78, September 28, 2019, 10:09:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

redgum78

Hi all,

I am overhauling the front end on my Challenger and was planing on doing some low level upgrades, best bang for the buck type thing but still keeping most of it stock (keeping stock upper control arms).

Plan is;
-Moog upper and lower ball joints
-Polyurethane bushes
-QA1 adjustable struts
-Mancini lower control arm stiffening plates

Has anyone done similar? Can anyone offer advice on the adjustable struts and stiffening plates regarding improvements?

Thanks

Dan

Chryco Psycho

Probably better off with offset upper bushings for more caster
Adjustable premium shocks are worth every penny .
Lower control arm stiffeners are worth doing too
Wheelwell stiffeners from the cowl to shock tower are worth doing also
I will add a hollow Hotchkiss sway bar to the mix also

7212Mopar

Upgrade torsion bar size and adjustable shocks. Weld up the k frame. If you go with poly LCA bushing, get the greaseable  pins.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

redgum78

Thanks for the response guys;

On your advice I'll go with the lower control arm stiffeners and I will defiantly go with adjustable shocks- thanking QA1 double adjustables.

Car is a U code which I thought had heavier sway and torsion bars than stock? I was going to stick with them just to save a few bucks. If you guys think it will make a decent improvement though I will cough up the extra cash. 

Chryco Psycho- I was looking for offset upper bushes on Summit and couldn't find them. I have used them on our Aussie Valiants in the past to gain extra caster and still maintain some negative camber. I figured it might be an Aussie thing only when the Summit search didn't turn any up. I'll do a bit more searching as I am keen to add as much caster as possible with out going to adjustable control arms.

7212 Mopar- What do you mean when you say weld up the K frame? I have the K frame sitting on my bench so it would be great timing if there is any fabrication mods that help with the K frame.

:cheers: Dan

dodj

A 1" or better diameter tbar will really help the handling.
By welding up the k, he means welding all the seams. Factory only spot welded
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

Quote from: redgum78 on September 29, 2019, 12:58:16 AM
What do you mean when you say weld up the K frame? I have the K frame sitting on my bench so it would be great timing if there is any fabrication mods that help with the K frame.

:cheers: Dan

A related option is adding this K frame stiffening kit.  As Dodj suggests, you'll make it better by simply welding around the perimeter of the K frame.   If you go this route, do what you can to wash out the seams beforehand.   I had LOTS of oil trapped in mine that made things even harder for a rookie welder.

http://www.firmfeel.com/e_body_mopar_k_frame_reinforcement.html

Katfish

7212Mopar

You can buy the kit from Firm Feel or make  your own plates. Beside weld up the k frame perimeter, you can clean and weld over weak welds from the factory. Add plates to weld up the steering box attachment point near the top. Add large washers (3", can't remember) weld to both sides of pivot pin hole and grind flat. Check your work with the old pins as you go. The video below give you some ideas except the guy is converting to tubular LCA.

1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

redgum78

Thanks for the info guys, I will attack the K frame with the MIG. I actually hadn't noticed how little it was welded from the factory until it was mentioned here. Easy to do and should make a some difference I would think.
Thanks also for the part number on the offset bushes, I was able to find them on Summit's website using the P/N.

Dan