Main Menu

Lower ball joint

Started by RJChallenger, July 14, 2019, 04:41:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I was going through the car from back to front making sure everything was good and tight. I found a lower ball joint with questionable threads and would like to replace it. Is MOOG still the brand of choice ?as it was back in the day, or is there a better  brand to buy?

Chryco Psycho

Moog is good , check Rock Auto for price

gzig5

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 14, 2019, 04:46:11 PM

I got mine last year from RA and they were cheapest price.  Quality was good.  But, if you order multiple parts, pay very close attention to the shipping charges.  I've had them break an order into five different packages coming from different locations which makes the shipping cost ridiculous.  You get more magnets but their stocking system has cost them several orders from me.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: gzig5 on July 15, 2019, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 14, 2019, 04:46:11 PM

I got mine last year from RA and they were cheapest price.  Quality was good.  But, if you order multiple parts, pay very close attention to the shipping charges.  I've had them break an order into five different packages coming from different locations which makes the shipping cost ridiculous.  You get more magnets but their stocking system has cost them several orders from me.

Agreed! They outprice themselves sometimes with shipping.

RJChallenger

I found a MOOG lower ball joint on the far side of town, but the guy behind the counter wouldn't order it unless I drove in and paid for it up front, then came back the next day to pick it up. What a complete waste of travel time and gas. So I went with NAPA as they usually have pretty good stuff at least good enough for my truck. the box said NAPA engineered parts, but at least I would be able to put car back on the ground for the first time in several years. What totally surprised me was to find a MOOG ball joint with made in USA. I didn't think MOOG still made parts in America or did I just get really old stock

anlauto

Quote from: RJChallenger on July 18, 2019, 05:31:52 AM
I found a MOOG lower ball joint on the far side of town, but the guy behind the counter wouldn't order it unless I drove in and paid for it up front, then came back the next day to pick it up. What a complete waste of travel time and gas. So I went with NAPA as they usually have pretty good stuff at least good enough for my truck. the box said NAPA engineered parts, but at least I would be able to put car back on the ground for the first time in several years. What totally surprised me was to find a MOOG ball joint with made in USA. I didn't think MOOG still made parts in America or did I just get really old stock
Curious Rob, what did you pay at NAPA for one ball joint ? You can order MOOG from Summit Racing as well. One ball joint, to your door, all taxes in for a total of $87.99 CDN
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RJChallenger

Allen. I paid 99.73 plus taxes, I got lucky it was a MOOG product and had it the next day, plus it allowed me to return stuff for a credit . I found a MOOG K783 ball joint on Amazon.ca for $74.99 with free shipping but no idea of how long it would take to get the part.

Burdar

Moog is even suspect any more.  The last two idler arms I bought from Rock Auto were junk. 

RJChallenger

That's why I was surprised to find "Made in USA" and not made in china. If its junk, then at least its American junk.The one I'm replacing was made in Canada.

anlauto

Quote from: RJChallenger on July 18, 2019, 07:37:30 AM
That's why I was surprised to find "Made in USA" and not made in china. If its junk, then at least its American junk.The one I'm replacing was made in Canada.

Love it  :canada: :clapping:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration