Main Menu

Lower control arm pivot shaft 70 Challenger

Started by Mopar5, April 20, 2019, 06:04:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

Looking for some help here, I am installing the lower control arms and when I got to the passenger side  and put slight pressure on the nut just to snug it up the pivot shaft spun in the bushing sleeve. I noticed on this one when pressing the pivot shaft in it did not take much pressure.This is a brand new Moog bushing. So now I can push the pivot shaft in with only hand pressure but the fit is snug with no noticeable play. The pivot shaft appears to be clean with no damage. Can I install it like that ? Or do I need to to extract the bushing and start over? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

1 Wild R/T

Change it, way to much work to fix it later....

Chryco Psycho

Maybe just using a new pin would work , PST has them I recall

Mopar5

I ordered a new bushing just to see how the pin presses in. If it presses in OK I will assume the pin is fine.

7212Mopar

I think you are right. The bushing should be pressed in but not by hand. The wear would be the bushing not the pin unless from corrosion.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Mopar5

I had another issue with one moog bushing on the upper control arm being wrong sizeI'm going to try an AC Delco this time no way the outer diameter on the pivot shaft would change unless damaged by corrosion I always spend extra to buy what I think is best disappointing to press out bushing on a freshly painted part

Mopar5

Well I got the AC Delco bushing and the pivot shaft slides right in no press required. The irony is I saved the old bushing sleeves and the fit is tight and would require a press. I wonder if these new bushings are oversize? I would hate to get another pivot shaft and find out it slides right in also. the pivot shaft is clean and bright with no damage how could it have shrunk in diameter? it just doesn't seem like that is the issue-

Mopar5

Another thing I don't understand do poly bushing allow the bushing to rotate on the shaft . If so then why not the same for rubber?

1 Wild R/T

Did you buy poly bushings?  If so your supposed to reuse the original metal sleeves both inner & outer....  However most folks agree you shouldn't use poly bushings on a Mopar.. They allow the inboard end of the lower control arm to move forward & back...  Which is why the bushing needs to twist rather than the bushing sliding on the shaft....

Besides Mopar doesn't use much rubber in the LCA bushing... Not like a GM where the control arm can move all around... 

Check the photos & guess which one could benefit from poly bushings..

Mopar5

Thanks for that I see what you mean by the back and forth play.I wish could find a spec on the allowable OD off the pivot shaft, Proforged does sell a pivot shaft and their bushing together on amazon

Mopar5

That does not explain why the old sleeves from the original bushings are a tight fit . And the brand new Moog and AC Delco sleeves are loose ?

Mopar5

If you can knurl valves why not a pivot shaft tapped it with a waffle type shrinking hammer took 2 tons on the pressure guage to press in I think it's good

Mopar5

Seems to raise the metal enough for a thousandth  or two

Chryco Psycho

Well the problem is originally they were using 100s of bushings/ day , now how many do they sell , tolerances got sloppy or lost & the new bushings are not made properly , seems your fix may work well  :bigthumb:

Mopar5

I will let you know when I torque it. I have to get a 5/8 NF tap for the nut to clean up the threads a little.