Main Menu

Lower Control Arms

Started by dodj, March 04, 2020, 01:34:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Is there a measurement, a test, or otherwise some way of determining if your lca's are too worn?
I've never had an lca in my hand that didn't seem kind of sloppy, but how sloppy is too sloppy/unsafe?
:huh:

I'm changing the K member shortly and changing the lca bushings, or, if the arms are too worn, I'll replace with QA1 pieces.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

This YouTube video is more about the different levels of slop in the control arms as they came out of the factory, but it might be useful in evaluating your current ones too. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwes-SP8u4w

FSHTAIL

I ended up ordering my lower control arm rebuild kit with the weld on brace from PST suspension, it looks pretty straightforward
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

dodj

Ya, the replacement is pretty simple, but I'm try to determine how sloppy a mopar lca and still be considered good. Squeezing the arm halves together can tighten up the axial, but what about the radial wear?

Just my opinion, but I don't see those PST stiffening plates contributing to any significant 'stiffening' of the control arm.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7212Mopar

The radial wear will be the metal bushing sleeve and the bushing. If that was worn out or corroded, the inner surface of the LCA that accept the pivot pin bushing may be damaged. The only way to find out is to remove the bushing and sleeve to inspect. If you are rebuilding the LCA, the pivot pin bushing and sleeve need to be replaced. That is the only moving part.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

dodj

Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 05, 2020, 07:18:29 AM
The radial wear will be the metal bushing sleeve and the bushing. If that was worn out or corroded, the inner surface of the LCA that accept the pivot pin bushing may be damaged. The only way to find out is to remove the bushing and sleeve to inspect. If you are rebuilding the LCA, the pivot pin bushing and sleeve need to be replaced. That is the only moving part.
Oh. OK. I was thinking there would be wear between the torsion bar socket and the arm itself. Thanks