Main Menu

Manual Steering advice

Started by Banana, April 11, 2021, 06:41:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Banana

Manual steering box hasn't been refurbished since 1970. I know during parking maneuvers, manual steering is always MUCH harder to turn, but mine is getting really difficult.

Questions:
- Would a stock rebuild improve the performance of the manual box?
- Is there a performance upgrade for manual boxes?
- Should I convert to Power?

Thanks

RUNCHARGER

That's one thing I have no problem adding to a car. Although we don't parrallel park these cars much anymore I do like the quicker ratio power steering for evasive maneuvers in traffic.
Sheldon

70Barracuda

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

RJChallenger

Yes a stock rebuild will help the performance of the gear box if (1) the gear box has enough wear to warrant the rebuild and (2)the shape / condition of the remaining parts in the system . If the ball joints and tie rod ends are all worn, then rebuilding the steering may not help much. if all parts are new and aligned properly then rebuilding the gear box should get you pretty close to new car feel.

HP2

The power steering box and pump market has improved so much in the last few years that you can get a set up that is very near manual steering feel with the power assist for tight, slow maneuvers that almost give you the best of both worlds.  Not only that, but a power system will  allow you t o use more aggressive alignment specs that will improve the way your car feels and performs.

Banana

Source for the new power steering set up?

HP2

Firm Feel and Steer and Gear if you have revalved original boxes. Bergman Autocraft if you want to go the Borgeson retrofit route.