Main Menu

Master cylinder and booster for converting to front disc.

Started by GoMangoBoys, July 27, 2020, 04:26:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

This picture is of the booster and master cylinder that I have now. Our car is a 70 Challenger R/T. I know that I need to replace the MC, but what is my best option on the booster?  I have no idea whether it is any good.  I know the car has sat for a couple decades at least.  We are not building a show car, it is a driver.  We would not be upset to change to a later model booster if that makes the system better or less expensive.
Am I better off to go to a 71 booster ad MC and sell this stuff to someone who really wants original for a 70?

My first priority is proper function / safety.  Me second priority is cost.

If I keep this booster and clean it up, is there a way to test it first, or to take it apart and go over everything to make sure it is right?
Thanks

GoMangoBoys

I said it in the title, but I did not mention in the post that we are converting to front disc.  That is why I need a different master cylinder. 

Chryco Psycho

If te booster works clean it up & use it
Not difficult to source a rebuilt disc brake master for disc brakes for te booster  :alan2cents:

GoMangoBoys

EV2RTSE

I haven't tried this myself but on Rockauto.com they list a rebuild service for the booster at under $60, and it says they (Cardone) rebuild and return your unit to you. Might be worth checking out. Also for a master cylinder, take a look at the Centric 130.63055 - it resembles the original expensive '171' master cylinder but sells for around $45 online.

68bee

Send it to Booster Dewey and get it rebuilt and get a new Centric 130.63055 master cylinder from Rock Auto

Chryco Psycho

Connect a ose to it put vacuum on it & see if it olds vacuum

GoMangoBoys

@Chryco Psycho  Thanks.  I have a manual vacuum pump that is for bleeding brakes.  I could probably rig that up to test the booster.

@68bee  Sorry for my ignorance but who is Dewey and where do I find him?

Thanks.