Main Menu

M/C what the heck?

Started by xx88man, December 15, 2019, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

I finally pulled the M/C off of my very original 71 Challenger yesterday. I'm certain it isn't original but what is it? Worth doing a rebuild on? Or just scrap? I don't see a Mopar casting number.... am I missing it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

JH27N0B

What you show in your pictures doesn't look OEM, but an overall picture of the assembly would help.
OEM Bendix never had "made in USA" cast in the body, for that matter many Bendix master cylinders back in the day were made in Canada.  Above the made in USA are some letters that I can't make out entirely but might read Wagner, a big aftermarket brake parts company.
Cast iron master cylinders went bad regularly, it wasn't unusual for one to be replaced within a couple years of the car being new.  You never know what you'll find, my T/A I bought in 78 had an aftermarket EIS MC when I bought it, but my convertible I bought in '97 with a November SBD had the correct Bendix MC on it with an October date code, so it's very likely the one it had when it rolled off the assembly line, and was on ithe car until it went bad on me around 2000, when the car was over 30 years old!

blown motor

Would a 71 and 72 be the same?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JH27N0B

The power disc brake master cylinder was the same from 71 through 74. Only exception in 71 was hemi disc brake cars which the MC was a carryover from 70.

xx88man

Here are a couple more pictures. It does have WAGNER stamped into the bottom
Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

I think it has been replaced at one time likely  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

xx88man

Quote from: anlauto on December 15, 2019, 02:45:19 PM
I think it has been replaced at one time likely  :alan2cents:

Yes I'm sure it was. I was hoping someone could tell me what it is compared to what should be there.
I tried the numbers on Google but didn't get anywhere. Maybe someone here knows more? As in could it be rebuilt and still work? Would the bore etc be the same? I think it's scrap but maybe I'm wrong?
Keep yer foot in it

71vert340

I believe the M/C you're looking for is a 3461187. I've attached a photo of what the casting should look like for a 71-74 M/C for a power disc brake car. There's some on E-bay and elsewhere if you do a search for sale for around $175 if you want numbers matching parts for your car.
Terry

xx88man

I'll keep an eye out for one. Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

blown motor

Give me a few days on this. I'll have a look around.

blown motor

@xx88man  I picked up a master cylinder today at a wrecker. #3481187 I also have the proportioning valve and 2 speed wiper motor. This stuff came off of a 72 Satellite. If you're interested pm me your email address and I can send you pictures. Cheers