Main Menu

Polyglas tires

Started by mezmerized1970, June 13, 2018, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mezmerized1970

Has anyone purchased some GY Polyglas tires and had issues with the lettering turning brown? I bought a new set of these a few weeks back and 3 of the tires are turning brown in the same exact spot on the raised white lettering. Not good.

Brads70

What are you using to clean them? I found " back in the day" Armour all  did that. Just a thought?

anlauto

Yes, I've seen that issue. I use Spray 9 to clean them, with various results. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

76orangewagon

Wesley's Bleach white works great...they sell it at NAPA. That, some Clorox scouring powder and a good tire brush and it will be gone.

anlauto

That's the stuff I used to use years ago, but haven't found it lately  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

76orangewagon

Quote from: anlauto on June 13, 2018, 04:57:19 PM
That's the stuff I used to use years ago, but haven't found it lately  :thinking:

Alan,
Do you want me to bring you a gallon to Carlisle ?

anlauto

Quote from: 76orangewagon on June 13, 2018, 05:22:17 PM
Quote from: anlauto on June 13, 2018, 04:57:19 PM

Alan,
Do you want me to bring you a gallon to Carlisle ?

No that's okay.... :haha: but if I think of it.....I might look for it on our Thursday night trip to Wal-Mart.. :crazytalk:

mezmerized1970

I've only cleaned them with soap and water once. Hard to believe that they would start to discolor after a few weeks and less then 50 miles on them.

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: I hope they don't discolour as bad as Radial T/A's do.
Sheldon

Lemontwist

Here's a tip I've used for as long as dirt was invented.  I use rubbing alcohol on a sock or rag to clean the letters.  Works like a charm.  See photo's YEAR is done the remainder needs done. Same for the F60 Done and dash and 15 need done
Drew

HP_Cuda

I just tried this on my Firehawks and although it did work by cleaning them up, not all of it came off.

Better than nothing I guess.

:dunno:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

71vert340

You guys will cringe with what I used in 1972-74 to keep the letters white on my Polyglas tires. I remember using SOS pads and lightly scrubbing the letters. When I didn't have an SOS pad, I would use one of the non-soaping pads and Comet. It worked but you had to do it lightly.
Terry

Brads70

Quote from: 71vert340 on June 14, 2018, 02:40:13 PM
You guys will cringe with what I used in 1972-74 to keep the letters white on my Polyglas tires. I remember using SOS pads and lightly scrubbing the letters. When I didn't have an SOS pad, I would use one of the non-soaping pads and Comet. It worked but you had to do it lightly.
Terry

Same here, SOS pads worked great!

mezmerized1970

wow, that does look good. I'll have to give that a try.