Main Menu

Need some troubleshooting ideas

Started by solesurvivor, November 07, 2018, 06:33:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

solesurvivor

Hi everyone,
my T/A's steering wheel has been squeaking. After watching Cody's video I rebuilt the steering column and everything went well. But the squeaking sound is still there. My tests include having the front wheels off the ground. I have two turn signal assemblies. One is a NOS 1970 model with the wheel and correct emergency flasher knob and the other is an aftermarket one for 1971 and up vehicles with the plunger type horn assembly. Both function properly.
Here is the catcher. If I pull off the crush can and remove either turn signal assembly and reinstall the crush can the squeak disappears. Completely. The crush can is true and shows no signs of it being bent or out of round. I can't figure out what is causing the squeaking. Any ideas?

JS29

Do you have access to another crush can?   I can't see it being the center shaft.

solesurvivor

I don't. But I can find a NOS one. And if not Classic Industries is 20 miles away. I did notice the bronze circle where the wire lead is connected to on my crush can, where it makes contact with the horn wheel/plunger, moves or revolves a little and isn't stationary.

HP_Cuda

The turn signal assembly is rubbing somewhere.

Reassemble it, mark the surface with a black pen or put blue tape on it and rotate it to see where it's rubbing.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

solesurvivor

Quote from: HP_Cuda on November 07, 2018, 12:26:22 PM

The turn signal assembly is rubbing somewhere.

Reassemble it, mark the surface with a black pen or put blue tape on it and rotate it to see where it's rubbing.
Great idea. I'll let you know what I finds. Thanks guys

Chryco Psycho

What about the horn ring & contact , they were originally coated with grease & had a roller on the switch , probably that is causing the squeak