Main Menu

Parking Brake Cable install - Rear Brake Backing Plates

Started by Floyd, October 27, 2020, 02:46:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

Installing repro parking brake cables and looking for any tricks/tips to get the cable to snap into the backing plate.  I haven't been able to generate enough force pushing the cable from behind to compress the rubber bushing.  Unfortunately, I already installed all the brake components and would like to avoid taking everything apart if possible.

Thanks!

anlauto

You push in and down to get one tang to "click" in....then I usually take a screw driver and bend the tang slightly to make sure it's in. Then pry the cable against that tang to get another tang clipped in etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

jimynick

You can also take an open ended wrench that fits the ferrule behind it's washer type rear face and give that a whack with a BFH and see where that takes you. Alan's put lots of these in, so he's likely got the method.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Floyd

Quote from: anlauto on October 27, 2020, 02:52:43 PM
You push in and down to get one tang to "click" in....then I usually take a screw driver and bend the tang slightly to make sure it's in. Then pry the cable against that tang to get another tang clipped in etc...

Worked like a charm.  No profanity required.  Thanks again Alan.