Main Menu

Pitman Arm

Started by B5fourspeed, February 24, 2020, 06:46:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

What is the best way to run the nut up on the steering shaf?.I am doing the suspension on the K frame out of the car.I ran the nut up  a little with a 1/2 inch drive and it just stopped cold after the nut got even with the bottom of the shaft.How hard should this be.I thought I would ask before going with impact or breaker bar.Thanks

Chryco Psycho

I believe it is torqued to 175 ft lbs

Dakota

In the Factory Service Manual for a 70 Challenger, the steering (Pitman) arm torque spec is listed as 175 ft-lbs for manual steering and 120 ft-lbs for power steering (see pages 19-44 and 19-45 in the FSM).

Bullitt-

I think he is saying the nut won't go on all the way... Probably damaged treads on the steering box output shaft.   
   On threads this large I would put plenty of penetrating oil on & tighten & loosen repeatedly hoping the nut would clear the threads   :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

JS29

:iagree: Or never seize.   :alan2cents:

B5fourspeed

Firm feel put a new shaft on it.I will try what bullitt said.I just did not want to force it up.The torque specs said 120.Thanks for the input.