Main Menu

Power Steering Gear Box Leak

Started by ramiron, December 27, 2019, 09:51:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ramiron

:dunno:  Looking for some clues to doing a quick leak repair on 70 Cuda power steering box leak.  Just to set the stage, I have never worked on one of these.  I am looking to make a quick and possibly temporary repair until more time can be devoted to the project.  I was able to find only one thread that was specific to this, and a mention of AT205 stop leak.  I am not fond of the idea of "stop leak", but if it works short term without damaging/stopping up my pump or box, I may consider it.
The leak is where the top plate attaches to the box, with two bolts, and the hoses connect to the plate.  The leak is between the plate and the box and occurs only when the steering wheel is moved.  I am hesitant to pull the two bolts and the top plate w/o knowing it if it will develop into something much larger than I can fix on a very short and tight time schedule.
Advice or a heads up to an illustrated procedure would be appreciated.   

RUNCHARGER

There are two (I think it's two) O-rings in there that may have failed. If you replace them you will need to adjust the centering valve. The centering valve is adjusted by having the mounting bolts slightly loosened and then you have to tap the top casting forward or back until the centering valve does not push the wheels to the right or the left. You do this adjustment with the engine idling and it's best with the front wheels off the ground. I assume you tightened the two bolts.
Sheldon

ramiron

Thanks, just what I am looking for.   I did not check the two bolts for tightness, but will do that first.  That sounds like a reasonably quick fix for my very tight Christmas visit, Cuda visit, quick fixes, and my return to FL for now.  Replaced upper/lower radiator hoses, so at least it can be moved if need be w/o overheating it.
I appreciate your input.   :thankyou:

Burdar

:iagree:  There are O-rings that do the sealing under that valve body.  Before you remove it, take a small screw driver or pick and scribe around the valve body so you know exactly where it was positioned.  If you are the slightest bit off, the steering wheel will move by itself and you'll need to readjust it.  Be warned, there is a valve under the valve body.  Do not disturb this valve.  When you start the car back up after replacing the O-rings, DO NOT have your arm inside the steering wheel.  I made that mistake once.  As soon as the car started, the wheel spun around to full lock and almost took my arm off. 

ramiron

Thanks very much.  Good information, and great safety tip on the steering wheel.  Hoping the bolts are a bit loose, but not too optimistic on that point.
I will post what I find.
Much thanks

Update:  Much thanks to RunCharger & Burdar for the head-up to the fix.     :twothumbsup: