Main Menu

powersteering hose connecting into rear of pump

Started by culp71, May 15, 2018, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

so going over giving everything a final check I found that the hose from the top of the steering pump into the rear of the pump was loose, when I try to tighten it stops long before the flare seats into the pump, I removed the line and pump. the issue I find is the in the rear of the pump the threads stop almost 1/4 of an inch before the flare, and on the hose the threads go right to the end, so wrong hose, wrong pump? or is there some type of spacer/seal that is to be put in before the hose is connected? or a fitting like those used on the rad for trans cooler lines?
  :help:

anlauto

There's two types of available connections there, the typical double flare and the O ring type connection. Sounds like you have one of each. I guess you can decide which will be easier to replace.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

Yep, that sounds like the problem.  The fitting on the back of the pump will just unscrew.  If you have an extra pump lying around, you can swap it out in a few minutes.  If you don't have the correct fitting, I'm not sure where you would find a replacement.  I doubt a parts store will carry just that fitting.

If you don't like the feel of the stock mopar steering box, now would be the time to try and improve it.  Some have had good luck with this mod and others haven't noticed much of anything.  With the fitting removed, the internal valve will come out.  The factory added shims in between the two valve halves.  More shims = less pressure.  You can add extra shims to decrease the pump pressure to make the steering less "boosted".  There was a good article about this on Mopar Action's website but it's no longer available.  If you're pulling out the fitting anyway, might as well have a look at that valve.

culp71

does someone have the correct style for the rear of the pump for sale?

Burdar

I guess I should have asked if you have a Saginaw or Federal pump?

anlauto

Determine which is which....likely easier to change the hose at this point....unless you can find the fitting like Darren suggested. What's the end of your hose look like ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

culp71

it is a Saginaw pump

the end of the hose looks like this, pic 1

the pump fitting looks like this, pic 2

found this @ Jegs
would it replace current pump fitting, thread/seal and allow connections of the current hose?
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/60791/10002/-1

or leave the current pump fitting and put in one of these?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRG-925122

or
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-605sol
??

1 Wild R/T

Either of those adapter fitting will solve your problem... I like the Borgeson design more...

culp71